Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First shop cabinet complete!

First shop cabinet complete!

Just finished my first shop cabinet, a sharpening station for hand tools, and thought I'd share a picture. I bought Tom Clark's book on building shop cabinets and it demystified the process for me. I used 3/4" oak ply from HD for the sides and drawer fronts; a variety of scrap 3/4" ply for unseen parts; 1/2" ply for the drawer sides and 1/4" oak ply for the drawer bottoms. The top is 2 layers of 3/4" mdf w/ a hardboard top and trimmed in Sassafras (of which I have too much). My only deviation from Tom Clark's method is I used pocket screws and glue in a few places.

IMG_0676.jpg

Thanks for looking

Looks great! I noticed you used inset drawer fronts and it looks clean. Was that a personal preference? I may be re-working my router table and it has overlay doors and drawers. From a functional standpoint, I get a lot of dust and chips in the areas from time to time and think inset construction may be better. (Along with better DC of course).

Mike

Cameron, that's a very nice cabinet, well done...........Regards, Rod.

Nice job on the cabinet. I like Sassafras but don't have any. All the Sassafras trees on the farm get about 6 inches in diameter and die. I thought I had one big one but when I cut it and the wood was snow white I realized it was a Cottonwood. Now I don't like Cottonwood,the only thing I will use it for is sticking my wood stacks.

And so it begins . Looks great. Keep 'em coming.
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

Cameron,

Your first shop cabinet came our looking great. Congratulations!
    Careful now, or you will end up with a shop full of them. <grin>

Tom

Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (99.7 KB, 635 views)
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (101.3 KB, 526 views)

Wow, what a set of cabinets. It would take me awhile to make those. I got mine from work when they replaced the cabinets in the lab. I had to retrieve them from the dumpster. Dumb contractors. They are metal. Don't look as good as yours. A wood shop should have wood cabinets.

Nice looking cabinets. I am in the process of building a new outfeed/assembly table. BTW, what is the title on that book referenced?
    It's not how many mistakes you make, it's how well you hide them.

Mike, I went with the inset drawers for simplicity. "Tolerance" issues crept into some of my cuts. I don't have a table saw yet so was using my skill saw/ripping guide and my bandsaw. We'll see if I have much dust intrusion but it'll be orders of magnatude better than everything sitting on the floor (which is the current situation). I may venture with some overlap drawers on the next set of cabinets. Thanks for the comments!

I purchased ~500 bdf from a sawyer in TN. He was my cedar supplier and had cut the Sassafras first to learn how to use his bandsaw mill. Smells like root beer when you cut it. I'm saving the best cuts for a canoe in the very near future if I can get my shop set up. In the old days, Sassafras was used for small boat ribs and other pieces.

Thanks! I highly recommend your book. And my wife is very appreciative since every cabinet clears a little more woodworking clutter from her garage. My next big cabinet will be a long bench that will double as a miter saw station.

Blog Entries
    Came out looking great. Congrats.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Thanks Tom. I will look it up.
    It's not how many mistakes you make, it's how well you hide them.

Really nice cabinet! I wish I could have that!

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron Handyside View Post

And my wife is very appreciative since every cabinet clears a little more woodworking clutter from her garage.
    Obviously, you need to do more woodworking then! And given its really to benefit her, you probably need some new tools also.......

Great cabinet.