Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Practice... Or just do it?

1. Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Ross View Post
    I recently added a fleet of hand planes to my shop, and I’m having trouble getting used to using them. I find myself grabbing for my sanding tools, because when I take the hand planes to a piece of work I end up having to fix tear outs and such with sandpaper anyway. So my question is; how did ya’ll learn to use hand planes? I’m working on a walnut chest for someone, but I’m afraid of messing up a project trying to learn. Thanks!
    If it takes scraping and sanding to achieve an acceptable surface then scrape and sand. PLENTY of highly skilled professional woodworkers did, and do, scrape and sand, much less beginners to hand planing. Some folks master the use of planes on projects no more complicated than that 9th grade shop students used to build. Don't be one of those guys. Build. Turn. Carve. The rest will come.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Stanford View Post
    Some folks master the use of planes on projects no more complicated than that 9th grade shop students used to build. Don't be one of those guys.
    Hey, I resemble that remark! I didn't have shop in high school so I'm trying to recreate the experience now. Anyone want a nailed together birdhouse made out of curly mahogany that has been finished with nothing other than a bailey with a closely set chipbreaker and then burnished with shavings of ligum vitae. I also like wear a letter-mans jacket while I woodwork...
    Last edited by Chris Griggs; 02-12-2013 at 8:23 AM.
    Woodworking is terrific for keeping in shape, but it's also a deadly serious killing system...

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Ross View Post
    Thanks Stan, I’m already there, I purchased Stu’s (#1200, 6000 & 13000) set when I brought my planes. But you’re telling I have to use them LOL. I’ve gotten Great advice, now I’ll put it to use. I just purchased my planes, and guess I was still relying on the fact that LN came sharp and ready to use. Where I really have trouble with tear out is where the grain is going in a lot of directions… like around a knot. I have both a 45 deg and a 50deg frog on my 4 1/2, and seem to have better luck with the 50. But like I said, I’m gonna break out the stones more, and follow the practice advice ya’ll suggest. Thanks All
    If you're working with gnarly grain and/or knots, you're going to need some REALLY sharp planes and (probably) a scraper. I'm not suggesting you run out and get the LN scraper plane, a card scraper will work just fine.

I just purchased my planes, and guess I was still relying on the fact that LN came sharp and ready to use.
    This is definitely your issue. It is a common misconception that planes that are "ready to use out of the box" come honed. No plane I've ever gotton form LN or LV has come nearly sharpened enough to use. Sure you can take shavings with them, but really they essentially come ground and lapped. The backs these days come pretty finely lapped, but you MUST hone the blade and polish the back to get an truly workable edge. I don't even bother trying out new planes until I've honed the blade. You have one of the best sets of stones on the market... use them before you take another shaving. If you do even just an ok job with them you'll find yourself liking your planes a whole lot more.
    Woodworking is terrific for keeping in shape, but it's also a deadly serious killing system...

If you're brand new to planing, locate (buy, whatever) the david charlesworth video on sharpening. You'll have a dead sharp edge every time, and if you want to go forward from there ditching the guide and sharpening freehand, you can. But there's no reason not to have appropriate smoother plane sharpness right away.

Thanks Stan, I’m already there, I purchased Stu’s (#1200, 6000 & 13000) set when I brought my planes. But you’re telling I have to use them LOL. I’ve gotten Great advice, now I’ll put it to use. I just purchased my planes, and guess I was still relying on the fact that LN came sharp and ready to use. Where I really have trouble with tear out is where the grain is going in a lot of directions… like around a knot. I have both a 45 deg and a 50deg frog on my 4 1/2, and seem to have better luck with the 50. But like I said, I’m gonna break out the stones more, and follow the practice advice ya’ll suggest. Thanks All
    Yeah, that's where you will get tear out unless you have good experience and know how to make the plane work for you.

From what I've seen, you need a higher angle of attack when grain changes direction. I don't have it down, but then again, I'm only working on building my workbench, and since it's a usable piece of work, if I screw up, so what? Great learning.

You made a good purchase getting high angle frogs. . .that will help when grain turns on you. You can also use your BU plane and it should help with tear-out. . .give that a shot.

[edit]Oh, and definitely learn to sharpen. Once you can slice paper with your blades easily, it's probably sharp enough to work wood.
    The Barefoot Woodworker.

Fueled by leather, chrome, and thunder.