Quote Originally Posted by Jared Walters View Post
I have been building my tool collection and falling in love with antique tools. I still need a good set of chisels. I know Stanley 750 are nice and popular, but collectors are driving the price up really high. It seems I can almost buy a set of brand new Lie-Nielsen chisels for the same amount people want for vintage 750s (only a slight exaggeration). Also I can't find them anywhere but ebay. I visit the antique malls in my area maybe about 7-8 times a month (as well as flea markets from time to time) and I have only ever found 1 vintage chisel, and it was a banged up stanley defiance.

Is there anything good that I can find for cheaper because it's less well known than Stanley? If it boils down to it I will just buy a set of Narex chisels, but I would prefer something older to fit in with the rest of my tools.
Hi Jared

Don't give up on the Stanley 750s. I have a set and I love their balance and all round performance. If you are patient, you can pick up near full length blades with poor handles or even without handles on eBay. It took around 2 years to accumulate the set I have.

I modified the blades a good bit - reground all the shoulders until the lands were minimal, made a 1/8" out of a 1/4", and a 3/8" out of a 1/2", and added longer handles that suited my hands. They are some of my favourite chisels now. 1/8" through 1" ....

I've had many Witherbys, and never found them to hold a decent edge. Not a patch on the 750. I have had a few sets of Bergs (also patiently put together). They are good steel, but I preferred the balance of the Stanleys.

Regards from Perth

Derek