Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: A setback, and no turning for a while again, but I'm still around

Smile A setback, and no turning for a while again, but I'm still around

I have been working away to get my shop organized, and it has taken longer than anticipated, for now it is so I can work in it and turn /return my projects, not perfect but I'm quite happy with it for now.

A couple of bowls and ornaments being finished .jpg

Then Anny and I where getting ready to go for a couple of weeks to Cuba to soak up some sun and meet old friends and new ones.

Before leaving for that, I had my yearly checkup and my only problem was a bit of a sore back, I thought my kidneys was the cause, had a kidney stone years ago, so I blamed my kidneys, my new doctor here in Atikokan thought that a ultra sound was a good idea to see what the problem was.

So Jan.16 I was to have a Ultra sound and I drank my 8 big glasses of water first thing that morning before breakfast, drove to the hospital and had my ultra sound done, outcome was no kidney stones, so that was good, .......... however as the technician was scanning my inside she found my abdominal aorta was very much enlarged right from the top down into my legs, (though I wasn't told how bad it was right then) just that the aorta was expanded to 65 mm, emergency surgery is done when it is at 55 mm, so this called for immediate action.

Quick fly-out of Atikokan and a good hour later I was in Winnipeg, the surgeon was in surgery when I arrived there, but came over right after, a scan was done and that's when I found out how bad it was, the surgeon suggested we don't wait at all, he told me he didn't think he could fix it all, ..... I asked he do his best as I certainly could not ask for more and so I had mayor surgery that evening, 6 hours after that I was wheeled out of the O.R. and into ICU. (and yes he fixed it all )

I was doing real well and after 10 days I was back in Atikokan and then for just a few days in the Hospital here, now I'm home getting stronger very slowly, no trip to Cuba now, but we can do this over some other time .

I'm still pretty weak but am able to walk around and climb the stairs and sit here in front of my Mac for short times, not much else allowed, it'll take a while before I will be able to get back into my shop and do some work, good thing is I'm still around to take on another day, Cheers
    Last edited by Leo Van Der Loo; 02-12-2013 at 11:20 AM.
    Have fun and take care

Leo, relieved to hear things went well in the end, but what a scare that must have been for Anny and you. I'm hoping you are able to follow any protocol established by your doc following the surgery and are back on your feet doing what you want to do.
    Will keep you in thoughts and prayers for fullest of recovery and recoup.
    Laugh at least once daily, even if at yourself!

Leo - thanks so much for sharing! So happy that you had everything checked before you left for Cuba! I wish you a full and speedy recovery!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Aortic aneurysms do trump trips to Cuba and turning. My mother-in-law survived one and lived another 15+ yrs. It took Medicare over 2 yrs to pay for the surgery seems the survival rate is pretty low....but a whole lot better than in the 70's thanks to preventative medicine and medical improvements. Get well, get strong.

That is pretty scary story. Glad to hear that you are better.

I didn't realize that you lived so close to me. If you ever get to Fort Francis we should get together.

Quinn

Leo, I'm glad to hear it worked out well. Take care, follow instructions and get well. We missed you during your move and are looking forward to your return to turning.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

Glad to hear you are healing. I will keep you in my thoughts. I had wondered why you had been so quiet.

robo hippy

Glad to hear you and the Drs. caught it in time. My barber had that same condition and after a few months of recovery, he's back playing golf so you should feel good about getting back to normal soon.

Jim

Leo,
    Thanks for sharing your very fortunate story. Maybe it can serve as a reminder to see your Dr. when you experience problems and not accept a quick diagnosis. Good on you Leo.
    Regards, Ken

Become a Contributor at SMC and keep this great source of Knowledge and help from becoming only a memory.

I'm VERY happy they found it and were able to fix it, Leo. Take care of yourself and I look forward to many more years of seeing your fine turnings and reading your great advice!
    Greg Ketell
    "Permanent Turning Newbie" aka "Always trying something new"

See my photo gallery here
    (in need of updating)

11. So glad you were able to get the medical help you needed......a truly dangerous situation!!! May your recovery be a speedy one, and I hope you will not try to overdo it too soon. Glad you are on the mend, Leo!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Leo,
    Glad to hear that your surgery was successful. I wish you a speedy and full recovery
    I was sad because I had no shoes,
    Then I saw a man who had no feet
    ================================
    If you do today what no one else will,
    You'll do tomorrow what no one else can

Leo thanks for sharing with us. Glad to hear everything worked out for you. Take it slow and take care.

Very glad things are looking up. Must have been a scary experience. Have missed seeing your posts. Get well!

Leo, I'm glad to hear you're on the mend. You never know what life has around the corner for you, and I am very glad that you went and got it checked out before the trip. Not something that you'd want to have fail in Cuba. I know the road to recovery is slow, but our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. I hope that you can live vicariously through our posts until you are well enough again to get behind your lathe and start making the wonderful creations that your so well known for.

Matt