Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: not another PCS vs ICS table saw thread

not another PCS vs ICS table saw thread

This weekend I sold my Delta hybrid TS, now it’s time to shop for a new one and make the hard decision on what saw to buy. I've narrowed the search down to a saw stop but which one. I'm really leaning towards the ICS over the PCS what draws me to the ICS is the larger table surface, and comparable distance between front of table to front of blade (which is comparable to what my hybrid was). So the question to those of you that own the PCS, do you find yourself wanting a larger table surface or wishing you got the ICS ? I am purely a hobbits, and i don't see myself ever making this as business.

No reason at all to get an ICS. Once you have an ICS you will never trade it for a PCS. A $1000 a year later wont buy an ICS. ICS owner.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Too bad that the bigger saw is not a 12-14 inch blade with a 1" arbor- that would make it a easier choice in differentiating between the two.

ICS owner here. Personally, I don't think the table size is that big a deal. For me the decision came down to the extra mass and motor options.

3hp PCS owner. If the ICS would get me an additional 2-3 inches table space in front of the blade, I'd consider it. Behind the blade doesn't matter to me as I have an outfeed surface. I believe the ICS adds 3/4" in front of the blade, and 2 inches behind the blade (over the PCS).

As a hobbyist, the 3hp PCS is more than enough saw for me...have never ever wanted an ICS. Ok, wait, that's a lie. The one time I wanted an ICS I was considering putting a router table into the saw's left wing, which would work well for me based on how I have the saw placed in my shop. Obviously not possible with an access door on the left side like the PCS has. Not exactly a reason to want an ICS though, but it was the one time I wished I had an ICS, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Smi View Post
    I am purely a hobbits...
    I would think that as a hobbit your projects would be smaller and therefore the table size wouldn't be as much an issue.

ICS owner here. I just spent the afternoon tuning my saw and it reminded me once again of how well designed it is. The table was .002 off and it was a breeze to align it to zero with the set screws. I remember the days of using a mallet on my Unisaw during the same task.

Jeff, I found a used ICS with 52" fence here in Southern California for $2000. If you are close by, it'll be a no brainer. I wish this kind of deal was available when I purchased mine. Someone is going to score a great deal.

Here is the listing. http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/tls/3580375473.html

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Heidrick View Post
    No reason at all to get an ICS. Once you have an ICS you will never trade it for a PCS. A $1000 a year later wont buy an ICS. ICS owner.

You make a very valid point.

Quote Originally Posted by Victor Robinson View Post
    3hp PCS owner. If the ICS would get me an additional 2-3 inches table space in front of the blade, I'd consider it. Behind the blade doesn't matter to me as I have an outfeed surface. I believe the ICS adds 3/4" in front of the blade, and 2 inches behind the blade (over the PCS).

I believe the ICS is 11 in front of blade, the PCS is 10 1/4 in front of blade so not really a big difference, and not sure if its worth the 1000 dollar difference, my hybrid was 12 1/8.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Leung View Post
    ICS owner here. I just spent the afternoon tuning my saw and it reminded me once again of how well designed it is. The table was .002 off and it was a breeze to align it to zero with the set screws. I remember the days of using a mallet on my Unisaw during the same task.

Jeff, I found a used ICS with 52" fence here in Southern California for $2000. If you are close by, it'll be a no brainer. I wish this kind of deal was available when I purchased mine. Someone is going to score a great deal.

I'm in Iowa so that would likely be out of the question.

Are all the internals the same and just the table larger? Dave

No. The ICS has a huge one piece trunion. Its night and day different under the cabinet between the two IMO in trunion design. 200lbs different as well.

Google ics sawstop overiew on youtube and go to 3.26 to see underneath the table.
    Last edited by Mike Heidrick; 02-12-2013 at 12:37 AM.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Smi View Post
    I believe the ICS is 11 in front of blade, the PCS is 10 1/4 in front of blade so not really a big difference, and not sure if its worth the 1000 dollar difference, my hybrid was 12 1/8.
    The ICS is only 11? It looked bigger than that. My Uni is 15" with blade full up and I'd assumed it was closer to that.
    One can never have too many planes and chisels... or so I'm learning!!

One thing to consider is the lack of aftermarket extensions and such for the larger tables. No cool cast iron router wings. Also the ICS has doors on both sides, which I find sort of inconvenient when it comes to under table storage and such.

I didn't see a need to get the ICS when I bought one last year. The ICS would have been another grand, plus delivery. The PCS was in stock at my local dealers. I haven't bogged the 3HP motor yet. The table size was never an issue, with it being just 3/4 inches more where it counts. The dust door on the left was also a plus for the PCS. I also preferred the lighter weight of the PCS due to my shop being in the basement.

Had my shop been "easy access", and the ICS been a stock item (thus no delivery), I would have bought the ICS just because of the extra 2HP I might never need. But the PCS suited my needs better. No regrets at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Heidrick View Post
    No. The ICS has a huge one piece trunion. Its night and day different under the cabinet between the two IMO in trunion design. 200lbs different as well.

Google ics sawstop overiew on youtube and go to 3.26 to see underneath the table.
    It would seem to me that this would be the most important part of the discussion. The force involved with the blade braking and the whole assembly dropping would make me look hard at the assembly when making the decision. The table size would be secondary. Dave

The ISC is a much heavier built saw with different internals. If you can swing the extra $1K without raiding your retirement or the kids college fund then I say do it. If it's a huge stretch I'm sure the PCS is a fine saw too and none of us are going to wear one out