Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: I broke my Starrett, any advice?

Jeff,
    McMaster part # 21675A32 $56.00

That is half the price of the standard precision vial for my SPI Master Level

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Monson View Post
    Thomas, I looked on McMaster Carr after you recommended them, what part # are you coming up with? I found alot of different vial's but not 100% sure which one would be right. Thanks!!
    Jeff
    Hear is a link to McMaster-Carr Page the vial is for a 15" 199Z level. Good luck. Tom http://www.mcmaster.com/#starrett-levels/=lhq9xy

Quote Originally Posted by Greg R Bradley View Post
    Jeff,
    McMaster part # 21675A32 $56.00

That is half the price of the standard precision vial for my SPI Master Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Hotchkin View Post
    Jeff
    Hear is a link to McMaster-Carr Page the vial is for a 15" 199Z level. Good luck. Tom http://www.mcmaster.com/#starrett-levels/=lhq9xy
    Thanks a million guys, I was searching for "level vial" on MC Carr, I will get one ordered.......and avoid another accident at all costs.
    A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. My desk is a work station.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Monson View Post
    Last night I was going to level the top on my tablesaw
    FYI The base of the Starrett 199 level is concave - if you we're leveling the entire saw you're fine, if you were trying to level the wings across the table top plane the Starrett 199 level is the wrong tool. In other words the Starrett 199 level makes a poor straight edge.

Quote Originally Posted by Mort Stevens View Post

FYI The base of the Starrett 199 level is concave -
    By only a few millionths. Did you read my last post upthread?
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Only a few millionths?? We're talking about woodworking here! I demand everything in my shop be accurate to at least .00000000001!

Sorry. A few 10 millionths.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

"I dopped my Starrett, any advice?"

Yes, don't be such a klutz

Gee, that's sad, of course it's never the dollar store level you drop.................Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Bolton View Post
    I too didnt mean to beat up on someone when their down, my apologies. Accidents happen, I have had my fair share. I understand its no ones business what anyone chooses to do with their money, time, shop, pursuits, and so on. I just often find myself asking "why?" and wondering what newcomers or young people considering the trades think when the mere act of cutting a board in two, or even making phenomenally beautiful one of a kind furniture, becomes some monumental Pandora's Box of engineering. A machine shop, absolutely, completely different animal.

It often reminds me of astronomy/astrophotography. The never ending pursuit of less and less error in your equipment. I have so often seen it, and experienced it myself, to where an unwavering focus on the mechanics brings one to a point where they never look at the stars anymore.
    I wasn't pointing out any one Mark, just qualifying my comment.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Bolton View Post
    I too didnt mean to beat up on someone when their down, my apologies. Accidents happen, I have had my fair share. I understand its no ones business what anyone chooses to do with their money, time, shop, pursuits, and so on. I just often find myself asking "why?" and wondering what newcomers or young people considering the trades think when the mere act of cutting a board in two, or even making phenomenally beautiful one of a kind furniture, becomes some monumental Pandora's Box of engineering. A machine shop, absolutely, completely different animal.
    No offense taken Mark, "why" you ask. Wish I knew, for me woodworking is a hobby (disease or addiction may be a more suitable term). I enjoy fine tuning my machines, making them the best they can be. I take pride in my hobby, I guess you could say. I pay far less attention to the tools I make a living with, as unfortunate as that sounds. When guys come into my shop, wanting to talk about how they spent the weekend working on their pride and joy vehicle, I just cant get into it. So if you make a living woorking with wood, I'm sure reading about me trying to dial in the top on my table saw.....gets the same result. I did purchase the level for more than just my maiden task, I also have a great friend that is a machinist, more than likely he will find more uses for it than I can. If he happens to break the vial, well I guess I can show him how to repair it. I was pretty bummed until Thomas got me the link for a direct replacement vial, as I want it back in the condition it was originally. $56 is not a cheap mistake, but I've made far more expensive ones.
    A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. My desk is a work station.