Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help Me Straighten Up (Literally) My Bandsaw

Help Me Straighten Up (Literally) My Bandsaw

I caught a sale a Woodcraft early last summer and bought myself a Laguna LT14SUV bandsaw. Though I used my father's bandsaw a lot as a kid, this is my first "real" bandsaw that I've been responsible for anything beyond pushing the on/off buttons. I set the thing up as best I could and got results that satisfied me at the time. I did think it was a little odd that the drift angle was pretty much at the limit of what the stock fence could accommodate. However, I then managed to add the DriftMaster fence a little later on. With that longer fence blade, it was more evident just how extreme the drift angle actually is. At the time, I couldn't figure out why it was like that, so I just left it along. Well, the other day, I happened to be behind the bandsaw and looked at it just right and was shocked to see what the problem is.

The upper guide blocks are rotated probably 30* to the outside in the plane parallel to the table. In other words, if you were to stand on a ladder and look straight down the blade onto the table from above the saw, you'd see that the guide blocks were rotated about 30* to the left. This is causing the blade to twist as it passes through the guide blocks (Laguna ceramic guides) so that, when it passes through the work on the table, it's about 30* skewed relative to the table itself. That's obviously what's producing the tremendous drift angle since the guides themselves are presenting the blade to the work at a huge angle. Obviously, I need to figure out why the upper guides are twisted like that and straighten them up.

Before I start tearing into the bandsaw without having any clue what I'm doing, is there an actual adjustment for getting the guides parallel to the rest of the saw body, or is this evidence of something being truly wrong with the saw?

I have an older model Laguna 16HD. Mine has a rack and pinion drive to raise and lower the guides. At the back it looks like there is one allen head screw that could be loosened and and slightly adjust the alignment, at the rear behind the guides. When I got mine I was disappionted at how MUCH I had to adjust and align everything EXCEPT the guide alignment. You have a brand new saw, I would call Laguna. They were next to worthless 7 years ago hopefully they can help, and maybe they are better now. Adjusting any saw, tablesaw mitersaw jointer ect there is a set up procedure. Step by step, skip a step and it can affect performance. They should know their saw better than anyone else.

Echo what Steve said. I can't imagine there isn't an adjustment for that. I have the Laguna 14SE...

Anyway, one thing to note, your guides shouldn't be touching the blade when they are adjusted properly (sides or back)... something to keep in mind. Someone posted a link here on how to adjust your band saw. Here it is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGbZqWac0jU

Although his machines are smaller than ours the same principles apply and have worked well for me.

If your manual doesn't show the adjustment, call Laguna. And, do watch the video above.

Laguna has the owner's manuals on line. These go through all the adjustment procedures for each aspect of the bandsaws.

Chris
    Chris

This misalignment isn't mentioned anywhere in the manual.

What blade are you using? If it's the stock blade that came with the saw, get a new one.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Quote Originally Posted by Myk Rian View Post
    What blade are you using? If it's the stock blade that came with the saw, get a new one.
    Why on earth would the blade affect the angle the guides sit at? That makes no sense!

Where do you live, Ty? Maybe there's a creeker in your area that is nearby and can drop over to help.

Delaware County, Ohio. Not horribly far from the border with Franklin and Union counties.

Ty, my bandsaw is a MM 16, but when I put on a new blade, I move the guides out so they don't touch the blade, tension the blade, and adjust it to where on the wheels I want it to run, and then adjust the guides to it. Can you do that? Works for me.

The fundamental problem isn't the relationship between the guides and the blade. The main problem is that the guides themselves are twisted out of square to the frame of the saw itself.

Post a picture.

Yes. Post a picture. I have a LT14SUV. Perhaps I can take a picture of the same part on mine and look for differences in orientation.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Ty, I have a Laguna LT14-SE and I had to adjust the post that hold the top ceramic black assembly. It was a real pain to adjust. On mine, there are 2 allen screws that controls the axial rotation angle and 1 allen screw that controls the angle front and back. After adjusting it a few years ago, I never had to readjust it again. I love the bandsaw but this procedure sucks.