Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Convert drawers to trash can pull-out

Convert drawers to trash can pull-out

Hello all. I am repurposing a buffet/sideboard into a kitchen island, and I would like to convert the lower three drawers pictured into a pullout compartment for two trashcans side by side. It would be easier to just convert one of the cabinet doors on either side, but my wife really wants to be able to get both the trash and recycling out of sight and the cabinets aren't big enough for two cans.

It seems like the easiest way would be to essentially use the bottom drawer as the trashcan holder, gut the shelves supporting the other two drawers, remove those two drawers fronts, attach a piece of plywood to the back of the bottom drawer front, and attach the two now "false" fronts to that piece of plywood, so the whole thing pulls out on the bottom drawer. The bottom drawer slides on a center wooden track, so I imagine I will need to use modern slides to make the unit slide in and out easily enough.

Has anyone tried this? Any perils I am not seeing here? A better way to do it? Any suggestions for what type of slides to use to be able to hold the weight without sagging?

Thanks for the help!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Here's how I did it. Crude but effective, I guess. I just used full extension side mount slides.
    IMG_0848.jpg

100lb rated slide will hold the weight; though you shouldn't pack the trash while in the drawer. Either bottom mount or side mount will work.

Side mount: I'd build a "drop-in" trash can rollout out, making the front of the drawer tall enough to screw the bottom two drawer faces to it as well. Optional heavy duty hardware can be used if you're worried about load. They make them up to 500#.

Bottom mount: I'd do the same thing but in reverse. The rollout front would be part of the drawer and tall enough to attach the the two middle drawer faces. Blum has a 563H for 90# dynamic load and 569 for 135# dynamic load. I have the 563H in my double trash, but they are front/back - not side to side.
    -Lud

Thanks for the advice. To do sidemount slides I'd have to build a new drawer because there is no clearance between the side of the drawer and the faceframe, so a slide couldn't fit through. No big deal, but I like the idea of using the original drawer with the nice dovetails and such.
    drawer side.jpg

Alternately, maybe I could replace this original wooden bottom slide with a pair of modern bottom slides, one on each side?

slide.jpg

Which do you think would be easier and more effective - building a new drawer to use sidemount slides, or putting bottom mount slide under the drawer?

Why couldn't you glue 3/8" baltic birch ply to the left and right insides of the drawer sides (essentially doubling up the drawer side thickness) and then on the outside (original drawer side) dado out space for side-slides? (like flush inset side slides). Vertical on edge it would be plenty strong enough.

Not sure if the description is sufficient to get the idea?

Yeah, I think I get it. And I have been sitting here pondering the same thing. Can you point me to a slide product similar to what you're thinking of?

Also, can you think of an advantage to doing it that way rather than concealed undermount slides? For one thing, my poking around online seems to show much less selection of concealed undermount slides, and not a lot of heavy duty ones.

No, I can't point you to a slide product, I'm just thinking if you wanted side-slides you could "inset" them if your heart was set on it (as opposed to being forced to rebuild a new drawer box). If you can find undermount slides heavy duty enough, I would think that would work fine also.

I think I may just ditch the original boxes and build a custom insert for the job. There is basically zero clearance with these drawers and I'm worried things wouldn't line up perfectly and they'd rub and catch. Building a new custom solution for the job like Roger posted above is probably the way to go. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by roger wiegand View Post
    Here's how I did it. Crude but effective, I guess. I just used full extension side mount slides.
    IMG_0848.jpg
    You might be able to replace the cat with some additional bracing. That would free up the cat for a different use.

We have two cats I will gladly give to anyone who builds this drawer contraption for me.

Roger, did you just use standard drawer slides for yours? Does one set of slides seem to do the job ok, or should I add a second set as an upper support?

Quote Originally Posted by Garth Snyder View Post
    You might be able to replace the cat with some additional bracing. That would free up the cat for a different use.
    IPA on the monitor.....................
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Are you sure you can't put a trash can behind each door? That would certainly be lots less work. You can get trash cans in all sorts of sizes. You can turn them so the long axis runs front-to-back.

Here's a page with three several different manufacturers, and among them a dozen or so sizes. http://www.wwhardware.com/cabinet-st...ng/accessories

I'm sure I could do that. But you know how it is with a kitchen remodel - you want what you want.

And the wife wants the sliding trash can thing. I may or may not have promised it and then forgotten.