Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Small Woodworking CNC

Small Woodworking CNC

I am getting interested in small Wood Cutting CNC machines but I don't seem to be able to find much info about the operation of the machines. Particularly, the convertering of paper drawn plans to workable input into a CNC for further operations. Just what must be done and how to convert only what you want into digital format. Thanks
    Leo

Most CNC machines accept, or are driven by G-code.

One can either directly write G-code (it's quite simplistic --- maddeningly so actually) using a tool like NC Corrector to see what the code will produce:

http://nc-corrector.inf.ua/index_EN.htm

Or, one can draw up the parts using a CAD program, or a drawing program like Inkscape which will allow one to export a .dxf --- one then uses a CAM tool to convert the CAD file to G-code. One on-line tool for doing this is:

http://www.makercam.com/

Though there's a plug-in for Inkscape, gcodetools which will go directly to G-code w/ a fair bit of control.

I've only just gotten my Shapeoko (hobby-level DIY CNC kit) up and running (but have already begun stocking the parts to upgrade it --- driveshaft coupler should arrive tomorrow, and I've already got the parts for double X-axis and to upgrade the Y-axis to 1 meter --- an acme screw for the Z axis should complete the kit until I can justify increasing the Y-axis to a 4 foot working area), so will be looking forward to the responses here.

Thanks William, and thanks for the info on the Shapeko!
    Leo

There is an article in the February Woodshop News magazine about small CNC Routers.
    Here is a list of the machines they mention:

Rockler - Click and Carve, CNC Shark

Biesse - Rover J.

Laguna - IQ Series

Romaxx Systems - HS-1 and WD-1

Probotix - Fireball, Meteor, Comet

Zenbot - Zenbot Mini

Vision - 1624R

ShopBot Tools - Desktop

Epik - Shop Sabre

Eagle Eye - EG Series

CAMaster - Stinger

AXYZ - Pacer

Techno - HD Series, LC Series

Oliver - IntelliCarve

General - iCarver

Hendric Manufacturing - NXT Series

MultiCam - Classic Series

The shapeko use makerslide? and delrin V bearings like my ordbot.

Also what controller are you running with it?

For anything with a decent 2.25hp router and a z carriage over a few ounces I would want a much nicer/HD extrusion than makerlide. Even doubled up you are going to flex. Its very lightweight and not really designed for a 4' machine at all. (Mikie who owns a castcnc and an Ordbot and about 3 2000mm lengths of makerslide).
    Last edited by Mike Heidrick; 02-14-2013 at 9:41 PM.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Leo - download the vectric vcarve pro demo and watch their tutorials. Its pretty easy to draw and wrap toolpaths around the vectors you draw. That then gets outputted to Gcode for your software of choice that drives your machine (Mach3 in my case).
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Yes, Makerslide and delrin v wheels. I'm using a custom Arduino board (AtomCNC) running GRBL.

When I go up to the 4' size, my plan is to switch to OpenRail for the Y-axis:

http://www.openbuilds.com/OpenBuilds_Store/

and maybe for the X also if I increase that too. Will also be doing metal wheels, and getting some threaded rod to bolt through the extrusions.

So far, people have mounted a Dewalt DW-660 (600 watts?), some Chinese spindles (300W, and a monster 1,000W unit), and one adventurous soul went up to a Dewalt DWP611, which seems pretty equivalent to the Bosch PR20 Colt Pro which the Rockler CNC Shark uses --- still waiting for reports showing how the latter two perform. Results w/ the DW-660 and the 1,000W spindle have been very positive, w/ the former effortlessly handling hard maple w/ a very nice surface.

William

I wish there was a simple answer, but there's not. No matter what the size of the machine, you still have to get you design into G-Code for the CNC.
    V-Carve is great for doing lettering and carving. It is not much help for cutting out parts. I've used AutoCAD for years, so I had a head start. You will need some sort of CAD program to get your designs into the computer. Corel Draw is also good, and for this purpose maybe better than rigid CAD program.
    Then you need a way to get the design into G-Code. For this I like to use CamBam. It is inexpensive, and is great for most 2D and 2.5D work. CamBam converts your line drawings into tool paths, then into G-Code. It has some built-in CAD capability, maybe enough to get you started. You can download their demo and try it out.

What you are taking about is converting drawings to vectors. Search the topic. There are special programs that will do most of the work for you. There are also programs that allow you to run the machine (Gcode) and let you draw as well and provide simple diagram to vector conversion. I agree that Vectric is a really good place to start. You can down load the program and they have GREAT training vidios and material. Step through those and I am sure you will have a grip on your issues.
    GARY ROBERTS
    ShopBot Desk Top
    Full Spectrum 60 Watt Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten View Post
    There is an article in the February Woodshop News magazine about small CNC Routers.
    Here is a list of the machines they mention:

Rockler - Click and Carve, CNC Shark

Biesse - Rover J.

Laguna - IQ Series

Romaxx Systems - HS-1 and WD-1

Probotix - Fireball, Meteor, Comet

Zenbot - Zenbot Mini

Vision - 1624R

ShopBot Tools - Desktop

Epik - Shop Sabre

Eagle Eye - EG Series

CAMaster - Stinger

AXYZ - Pacer

Techno - HD Series, LC Series

Oliver - IntelliCarve

General - iCarver

Hendric Manufacturing - NXT Series

MultiCam - Classic Series
    "They mention" is about all they do in the article. The articles in Woodshop News are getting to be a lot of fluff, and no info. It seems to me that they are doing that type of article so they can intice advertisers into spending for the issue since they will mention them in the aritcle. Hate that type of journalism.

Richard,

It looks to me that is exactly what they did, there was almost no information in the entire article and some/most of the companies who had pictures in the article were advertisers. If you remove the advertising pages from the magazine it would be to thin to swat a fly with. Do people really pay $3.95 to purchase this magazine?

I have never seen this magazine before, it just showed up in our mail box a few days ago.

I've been pretty disgusted at the level of journalism there too- very little content and poor editing. I just subscribe to the digital version which is free. There are a few decent articles now and then.. It used to be a lot better mag.
    CarveWright Model C
    Stratos Lathe
    Jet 1014
    Half-a-Brain

I worked at Woodworker's Journal for 3 years as a project builder/designer. Magazine profits have always been driven by advertisers, the subscribers are just a little cream. The one thing the subscribers do drive, is the price charged to advertisers. Woodshop News has always made the magazine free to professional woodworkers, and this benefits them with their advertising rates.

Thanks to all of you ... your information has lead me deeper into this very interesting tech of CNC. At this point I am in the learn more mode and save some coins. Once again ... thank you all1
    Leo

The Shapeoko is a great platform to learn more about CNC. I've just managed to get a drive shaft installed into mine (and will hopefully finish documenting it on the Shapeoko wiki at http://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/Drive_Shaft this evening --- I need ``one more part'', an eyebolt to make up for a belt being short and to serve as a way to tension it).