Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Small Woodworking CNC

Very interesting and informative post about cnc technology.

This article from American Woodworker has a more in-depth comparison.

http://americanwoodworker.com/blogs/...er-review.aspx
    Sales & Marketing for LHR Technologies, the makers of CarveWright System

Quote Originally Posted by Luther Oswalt View Post
    I am getting interested in small Wood Cutting CNC machines but I don't seem to be able to find much info about the operation of the machines. Particularly, the convertering of paper drawn plans to workable input into a CNC for further operations. Just what must be done and how to convert only what you want into digital format. Thanks
    Leo
    I was about where you are a few years ago. A number of manufacturers allow free downloads of their software, and I downloaded and tried several. I ended up buying a CarveWright system, which comes bundled with their proprietary Designer software (does not use G code). I based my decision on cost, capabilities, and software ease of use. There is a learning curve no matter which way you go.

The CarveWright software, assisted by some other free drawing programs, can do what you want, with limitations. If you could post a sample project drawing, or a link online, I would be happy to take a look and possibly post the steps needed using the CarveWright system.

Quote Originally Posted by George Carlson View Post
    I wish there was a simple answer, but there's not. No matter what the size of the machine, you still have to get you design into G-Code for the CNC.
    V-Carve is great for doing lettering and carving. It is not much help for cutting out parts. I've used AutoCAD for years, so I had a head start. You will need some sort of CAD program to get your designs into the computer. Corel Draw is also good, and for this purpose maybe better than rigid CAD program.
    Then you need a way to get the design into G-Code. For this I like to use CamBam. It is inexpensive, and is great for most 2D and 2.5D work. CamBam converts your line drawings into tool paths, then into G-Code. It has some built-in CAD capability, maybe enough to get you started. You can download their demo and try it out.
    I respectfully disagree with George's assessment of V-Carve Pro for cutting out parts. V-Carve Pro has quite a bit of drawing power built in. Especially the latest version 7. What George and other may not have knowledge/experience with is the node editing function of V-Carve Pro. It is very similar to Corel Draw or Adobe Illustrator for manipulating vectors, points and nodes. There are drawing handle that you can manipulate and some pretty powerful single key short cuts to do common functions. Additionally the latest version added all sort of drawing snaps and midpoints etc.

In my opinion, Vectric did not explain the power of their node editing well enough when they got started a few years ago. It was not until I saw a demo by James Booth where he actually explained the best practices of node editing that my productivity soared. The latest version is a warp speed jump in functionality. Is node editing as powerful as CAD? No. Is it a usable alternative? Yes.

Regarding CAMBAM. I like it to.

George, I mean no disrespect over my difference of opinion. Every body has an opinion and I respect your right to differ from mine.

Bill
    Hybrid 4x4 Rack & Pinion, Mach3, Hobbycnc Pro, Aspire, Cut3D, PhotoVcarve, Alibre, Rhino, Laser cutter, foam cutter.

Luther,

Part five of a Tutorial series I wrote mighht help you understand the process of creating Vectors for use in a CNC project. This one deals with creating a vector boarder around a V Carving annd how that was done. There are also other blog posts which show how to finish the board, paint it etc......

See my HP link in my profile page.
    Hope this helps.

Bill
    Last edited by Bruce Page; 04-14-2013 at 12:08 AM. Reason: Removed link to personal website.
    Hybrid 4x4 Rack & Pinion, Mach3, Hobbycnc Pro, Aspire, Cut3D, PhotoVcarve, Alibre, Rhino, Laser cutter, foam cutter.