Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: FWW Article on dust collector modifications

FWW Article on dust collector modifications

The latest FWW had an article full of suggestions to improve dust collector performance including baffles and external cyclones. I couldn't help think that what they were really saying was the dust collectors we all buy (other than big bucks cyclone units) are ineffective, inefficient and/or poorly designed. I can't think of another tool in my shop that comes "out of the box" needing so many mods to do it's job (that doesn't count jigs - that's different I think). Other than Jet and their Vortex, do you think other manufacturers will offer some kind of improvements in the standard 1-2hp dust collector and if they do, does it have to cost $700? Or is $700 about right? I really don't know, I'm just asking. FYI, I have a JDS 1.5 hp and bought a canister for it. So I have about $500 into my DC. I tried the old Lee Valley trash can separator, but it took too much of a hit on air movement. Like so many tool purchases, I kind of wish I could go back in time on this one. 2h or more...

That sounds about right regarding needing mods to perform up to our expectations. Along those same lines, I think they are one of the few equipment purchases you make that their performance is completely dependant on how they are installed with respect to the system. Your system may have too much loss, but your neighbors system works fine because of less system loss.

I thought the article gave some decent information although not much of it surprising. I found fault with a couple of things. The statement that " 400-500 cfm is adequate for your biggest chip producers" seemed kind of arbitrary and I'm not sure I'm in agreement. The testing procedure for measuring the cfm I thought was pretty optomistic as well. A few feet of flex attached to what looked like 6" spiral isn't going to give real world results. Most small baggers are running flex to the machine and the resistance of several more feet of flex and the machine hood itself will drop the cfm a fair amount below their numbers. They did conclude that the 1.5 hp was marginal for use with a separator but I think they still overstated their numbers. Looks to me like 2 hp is the real minimum to deliver the 400-500 cfm- assuming that is adequate. Dave

I also thought they should have used a thien top hat or garbage can conversion rather than the internal baffle. That would have yielded much more useful results for me, and I suspect many others as well. It is also a better comparison external evice, vs external device.
    Paul

Blog Entries
    I did a mod on my old bagger just to get me through till I got the cyclone. I too had to remove the separator as it just put too much hit on the flow. With an oversized American Fabric Filter on top and a solid bag below, it still does duty for the jointer. Like a contractor saw; you can add a lot of bells and whistles and get it to sing pretty good but, it will never be a cabinet saw. An inexpensive bag unit will never be a high-end DC. If I could put my DC outside in a shed I would buy a bag unit in a heartbeat as they move much more air for a given horsepower (or cost). Since I have to vent back into my shop, air quality came first. That meant a very fine filter and a cyclone to keep it from clogging up. If I have a busy year I can get about a half a cup of fines in the container below the filter after scrubbing regularly throughout the year. The chip bin gets emptied about once a month but the filter stays remarkably clean.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I made a top hat, and am planning to vent outside. I am pretty happy with the result. It's not a cyclone, but it won't cause a divorce either! It is encouraging me to use more hand tools anyways.
    Paul

I don't have an answer to your questions (well, I do, but I don't have enough time to type it), but...

Bill Peck from FWW had sent me an E-Mail last year asking if it was okay to write something about the baffle.

We talked (via E-Mail) a few times in January of last year, and then I heard nothing more. I figured maybe they lost interest.

Now to cover a couple of points:

(1) Mr. Peck had originally said they were going to use a General International DC for the test, then subsequently said they'd be using a Jet. I had mentioned to him that the Jet really isn't an ideal choice:

"Oh boy. That snap ring on the Jet DC-1100 often creates a sort of ledge which interferes with separation quite bit. Not the optimum DC for a baffle mod."

The bag retainer on Jet units can result in a ledge around the perimeter of the ring, which obviously is going to interfere with separation. For optimum separation, this area needs to be smooth and uninterrupted.

Units where the bag is clamped to the OUTSIDE of the ring will work better with the baffle. That bag retention method on the Jet is the thing's Achilles' heal, IMHO.

If you have a Jet to which you'd like to add a baffle, do yourself a favor and get a big band clamp and move the bag to the outside of the ring.

(2) FWW seemed to experience filter loading (with the baffle) faster than what I'd expect based on feedback from other baffle users. Of course, #1 (above) would contribute greatly. Other factors can be the rate at which you feed debris, and the type of the debris. So quickly stuffing fines into the hose is going to load the filters faster than slowly feeding chips.

(3) FWW said that when they cleaned the filter, the result was a pile of debris on top of the baffle. They had to remove the filter and brush the baffle off to prevent this pile from just getting pushed right back up to the filter with the next run.

Removing the filter a lot would certainly be a pain. A better option is simply removing the inlet air hose and reaching in with your arm and pushing the dust over the edge of the baffle.

But most of the feedback I get is one to two cleanings a year (from fairly heavy hobby users) where they simply take the filter outside and clean it out.

I really think the key to superior performance is making sure the bag is clamped to the OUTSIDE of the ring. I know it seems simple, but as Mathias Wendel observed in his video at woodgears.ca, a properly executed Thien separator removed more wheat flour than a high-end 3M Filtrete filter. It does work very well, you just have to observe a few rules. Rule #1 has to be no ledges.

All in all, I think the article was very favorable. Clearly the Thien baffle outperformed the other solutions in airflow until the filters caked, which required over 100-lbs of sawdust. And had they moved the bag to the outside of the ring, I feel the results would have been that much better.

I thought it was a pretty good article, not so much for the raw numbers but for the relative effects of the various seperators, as well as showing some cheap and easy ways to improve the perforamance of your DC.

As for Dust collectors not really being ready out of the box, I'd agree. I think alot of that goes down to a lack of understanding by consumers as to how well a dust collector is working, as well as a desire to not pay a fortune for one. Many folks assume that if the DC is getting most of the big chips, its doing its job. If a dust collector is to protect your lungs, it needs to have much more CFM, and a much more effective filter. Even the canister filters on most smaller DCs are woefully inadequate.

Lastly I think most people myself included would perfer to spend their money on toys like bandsaw, lathes and tablesaws instead of dust collection.

The guru himself posted! Mr. Thien, why don't any companies include your baffle? I'm assuming you have been approached?

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Hawser View Post
    The guru himself posted! Mr. Thien, why don't any companies include your baffle? I'm assuming you have been approached?
    Nope, never been approached.

Phil, Do you have a patent on it?

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Joiner View Post
    The initial finding by the patent office blew all my claims out of the water. I made the decision to abort the process there.

It is a very niche product. Even if I was to license it, the $ returned would be nominal. And I would have to start paying an attorney real money to go further in the patent process after the claims were initially rejected.

Also, manufacturers may be willing to use (in my opinion) less effective forms of a baffle (and sidestep any patent protection) to avoid paying me anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Joiner View Post
    My suspicion is the companies are looking for their own solutions, so they can control the patents and differentiate themselves from one another (e.g., Jet Vortex Cone).

Mr. Thein, you've got a big fan, here, for sharing your ideas for the good of others without personal financial gain. That is what is so great about communities, like this.

It was a decent article and is a help for someone that has an older DC and wants to upgrade without spending more money. Though for someone (i.e. like me) that doesnt have any DC other than a shop vac and a Rockler separator, taking their suggestion to be the best 2HP vac and do the conversion doesnt make sense to me. Since I am a hobby type guy, and with my poor garage door that needs an upgrade so I can work in winter, I am saving up to go right to a 3HP cyclone. Yes its more but not that much vs the time and effort the mod will take. Now if I already had a an old bag model I would go right ahead and do the mod.

The one thing that I find interesting is that we are obsessed with the elimination of fines, which is clearly a good thing for lung health. however at some point we have empty the drums. tipping over the drum into a bag generates plenty of dust, maybe not as fine particles but dust just as well. it wont get as deep into your lungs but will still get in.

I had a Jet 1100 and a 1883(3hp double bagger). I put clear bags on the outside of the lower hoop and canisters on top. I never got the results that everybody else did. I always had a pile of dust and chips on top of the baffle. Sounds like I got similar results to FWW so both of us must have done something wrong. My filters were caked no matter I cleaned them. It doesn't matter now because I have a cyclone now, but I always wondered what I was doing wrong.