Thread: Greetings all..

Greetings all..

Hello there everyone,

Its been awhile since I have been around, took a break from turning and decided to open a photography studio, (loose some hair, brain cells, and a ton of money) but I am thinking its time to get back into turning again, if nothing else as a way to relax.

I sold all my woodworking equipment to get the studio open, so have to start over, mostly pens and mills, etc, to start with, so budget is small to non-existent, but was wondering if the apprentice lathe from woodturners would work and if anyone has used one before? Cost is about right for me to start with.

Thank and hope to be back posting a lot again soon..

dennis

That lathe is probably only good for pens. With a MT#1 spindle and tailstock, you would not be able to use any accessories if you upgraded, and the 1/3hp motor is tiny.

I would look at one of the Turncrafter starter sets from PSI, the 10" lathe has #2MT, 3/4hp VS motor, indexing, comes with tools and pen kits for a little over $400.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

Thanks Thom,

I had forgotten about PSI, will be looking at the lathe there. Dont need the add-ons, really, dont do slim lines much, and there is a woodcraft right down the road. for the chuck and drill chuck etc..

4. Quote Originally Posted by Dennis McGarry View Post
    Thanks Thom,

I had forgotten about PSI, will be looking at the lathe there. Dont need the add-ons, really, dont do slim lines much, and there is a woodcraft right down the road. for the chuck and drill chuck etc..
    Check out the rikon mini at the Woodcraft you spoke of........it is a reasonably good lathe for the price, and may fit your budget.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Dennis, what is your budget for the lathe itself? I've found that used midis (Rikon and Delta) can easily be found on CL for $200 or less. Both are good lathes. If you budget is $400 or so, you've got options that might even get you into a Powermatic 90. You get find them cheap sometimes. I got mine (sold it already) for $300. Yeah, I didn't leave it that way, and restored it. But I could have just used it the way it was at $300 in. Ugly, but usable. And with that kind of purchase, you can always clean it up later if you want. I've seen som nice older Oliver lathes with 14 and 16" swings go for about $400-500. So, don't be stuck on new and get junk just because it was all the "new" you could afford.
    I drink, therefore I am.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cruz View Post
    Dennis, what is your budget for the lathe itself? I've found that used midis (Rikon and Delta) can easily be found on CL for $200 or less. Both are good lathes. If you budget is $400 or so, you've got options that might even get you into a Powermatic 90. You get find them cheap sometimes. I got mine (sold it already) for $300. Yeah, I didn't leave it that way, and restored it. But I could have just used it the way it was at $300 in. Ugly, but usable. And with that kind of purchase, you can always clean it up later if you want. I've seen som nice older Oliver lathes with 14 and 16" swings go for about $400-500. So, don't be stuck on new and get junk just because it was all the "new" you could afford.
    Good question, Not sure yet on the budget, I originally had the rikon and a jet 1015, (loved the rikon more then the jet) I am just getting item list put together so I know what I have to work with to budget. I will be selling off camera gear, from the studio to fund it.

Might have to expand my CL searching as there is nothing but the old craftmans lathes up here. Not a lot of turners in the midwest I guess.

Dennis,

I watched craigslist in the Chicago area for awhile before buying new, and also did not see much of interest. You might contact one of the local turning clubs to see if anyone is upgrading and has a lathe to sell. The Chicago Woodturners meets in Palatine and has a monthly newsletter available online that has a "for sale" section at the end. Good luck getting re-equipped!

Jon