Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fir Burl WIP

Fir Burl WIP

I picked up this Fir Burl from my local wood pusher. It was 22" at it widest and 20" at the narrowest. The lathe did wiggle a bit as a started roughing the outside. Unfortunately, the center is really bad off and the bark inclusions go pretty deep, so I'm going to lose some height and diameter. Hopefully, I can get a couple cores out of it.
    Fir Burl.jpgFir Burl Bowl WIP.jpg
    When you approach the lathe you have "the plan", after your first catch you have "the intent".- P. Harbeck

Nate, I love those colors. Is that typical for a fir burl?
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

I don't know, Brian. I never turned Fir before. Smells good though
    When you approach the lathe you have "the plan", after your first catch you have "the intent".- P. Harbeck

Fantastic, Nate. I'm looking forward to seeing this one through the whole process.
    I drink, therefore I am.

Good luck with it. Watch for pitch.
    C&C WELCOME

Looks promising. Was wondering Douglas Fir, Nobel Fir, Grand Fir or ?.

Hayes, The guy I got it from wasn't sure. I'd guess Doug Fir, but that's just a guess.

thanks for sharing, looking forward Nate to more WIP

Had to take a bit of a break form turning to but the Minister of Finance green house together. Then back to the lathe. This is, without a doubt, the worst piece of wood I've ever turned and I've turned some pretty bad wood. Most of the top part of the bowl was completely shot. It's not pithy like maple or walnut, but stringy. The wood is really wet and the burl eyes come out in chunks. I've tried every trick I know. Stabilizing with CA, light cuts, heavy cuts, using my scraper. The bark inclusions went far deeper than I had guessed so had to change the design a bit. Book of Raffan, Chapter 3, page 47, I've gotten it to a rough shape I want and now I'm just going to let it dry and see what I can finish. The only wood that is left is burl wood, so hopefully, as it dries, it wont crack......to badly. To get it round and try to get out of the worst wood, I've reduced the diameter to 17". There is a ruined part of the edge, guess it will be a rustic refined look. I will probably never turn fir burl again!
    Fir Burl WIP 2.jpgFir Burl 2a.jpgFir Burl WIP 2b.jpg

You lost a lot of mass and diameter, but still have a special piece there. Now we are waiting for the next installment. The "edge" will only add to the final story.

Sometimes wood is just too far gone to turn without some stabilizing. I would consider soaking this in a glue/water bath before going any further.
    David DeCristoforo

I think I will be doing that, David. It is some beautiful wood.

David, what kind of a glue/water bath would one use? Would you soak it in a deep vessel or could just brushing it on help in cases like this? Thanks,

Fred, brushing it on would do about the same as AnchorSeal. It would help with the drying process, and hopefully keep it from cracking. But it wouldn't go in deep enough to help with the re-turn very much. A soak may actually stabilize the wood.
    I drink, therefore I am.

Mike, would the glue/water mix just be a weak solution of Titebond ll or something similar? Does anyone have a recommendation for a satisfactory ratio of glue to water? I occasionaly run into wood that looks like it could be handsome, but is kinda soft or weak. Thanks