Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Workshop progress

Workshop progress

Making progress on my shop. They got the trusses up and the roof installed this week. We had a storm pass through last week with really high winds that blew some of the housewrap loose.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Dave Halter; 02-16-2013 at 10:03 AM.

Wow Dave, thats looking really nice!! Is the whole shop dedicated for woodworking? If so, how do you plan on using both levels?
    A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. My desk is a work station.

The upper level (it's a 28'x30' space to the left of the garage in the 1st photo) will be for woodworking. The basement will be for storage and house the HVAC, dust collection system, air compessor, wood storage, etc.

looks great. I have a space that is 16 X 32 outside dimensions with no windows cinderblock construction. I built it that way because I was worried about the noise level since I had plans to keep some of the machinery from the machine shop I closed. Moving forward I wished I had windows now but its too hard to add them. If it where me I might consider a punching in a few more. Just my .02

I originally considered a second window on the upper level to the left of the entry door (which is the West side), but when I changed that to a 6' wide door we moved that window to the North side. It's tough to balance keeping wall space for cabinets, racks, and such, with windows. I'm using the shop lighting article posted here on the Creek to plan the lighting so there should be plenty of light. There is only one window in the garage area on the South side, but I'm not to concerned about lighting in that area.

That's going to be a great space Dave. Being able to use the lower level for storage and mechanicals is a smart move.

Cool! It is tough balance unless you 12 foot falls. Windows could be the barn type rectangular or is that loft type? Either way its going to be a great place to work! Congrats!

Work has come to a screeching halt due to the big snow storm we had. There's another on the way so I don't expect much to happen this week either.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Wow - you got some shop going there. Sure sounds like good planing with machines and lumber downstairs. My cave is a 24 X 24 space I hand dug out from under my barn located in the granite state. It was a crawl space with about 1/3 walking dirt floor. Because I ran into some ledge, I had to settle for a shorter ceiling then I wanted (about 7ft), but it's bigger the lots of folks have and it's my man cave. I guess it's easier to heat.

I don't envy you but I'm happy for you. Hope to see some saw dust in there soon.

Looking cool! I'm Looking forward to see more updates!

The electrician is supposed to start next week and I've been working on the shop layout. I currently have a contractors saw, but plan to upgrade to a 3hp cabinet saw. I've looked at several different manuals online trying to figure out what the amp draw would be for a 3hp 230v saw, but I'm not have much luck. I want to make sure I give him accurate information to size everything correctly. Can anyone tell me what the amp draw is for a 3hp Sawstop, Unisaw, or PM2000?

Thanks,
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Halter View Post
    The electrician is supposed to start next week and I've been working on the shop layout. I currently have a contractors saw, but plan to upgrade to a 3hp cabinet saw. I've looked at several different manuals online trying to figure out what the amp draw would be for a 3hp 230v saw, but I'm not have much luck. I want to make sure I give him accurate information to size everything correctly. Can anyone tell me what the amp draw is for a 3hp Sawstop, Unisaw, or PM2000?

Thanks,
    Dave
    http://www.sawstop.com/products/prof...net-saw/specs/

Spec sheet says 13 amps.
    Theoretically, 3 hp is a bit over 10 amps at 220.
    Realistically, you need a 15 amp circuit.
    Practically, I'd use either 10 or 12 gauge wire and then size the breaker for the machine you are actually using, but leaving room to upgrade to a 20 or 30 amp circuit if you ever get a bigger machine.

Steve,
    Thanks for the info.

Dave

Weather keeps slowing things down, but there has been some progress on my shop.

Shop 1.jpgShop 2.jpgShop 3.jpg

Looking good.

Will there be another type of siding (stone veneer? Paint?) that covers the basement walls where the siding appears to have been intentionally left large and square (instead of stair-stepped and following the grade?)

What pitch on your roof?

Are gutters planned?

Do y'all do a drain pipe to daylight, covered in rock, in that neck of the woods around the basement walls perimeter?

Was the dirt removed for the basement, brought up to the high side of the hill to swale the water around the shop?

Was the basement a separate line item on the build with a $ figure attached to it? Share?

Thanks for posting pics!