Thread: Tutorial on Random Orbital Sanders

Tutorial on Random Orbital Sanders

I found this article helpful in understanding the dynamics of the ROS:

http://americanwoodworker.com/blogs/...t-sanders.aspx
    Last edited by scott vroom; 02-16-2013 at 1:14 PM.
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

Interesting article and is helpful. I have an older PC 333VS and have noticed that it seems to do a much nicer job, now that the pad brake o-ring has worn out. I guess its just a better combination of orbit / rotation. Since it seems to perform better, I don't plan on replacing the worn part, but it can take off pretty quickly when lifted from the wood so I have to be careful when setting it back on the piece to avoid gouging.
    Dick Mahany.

I read that page and learned some things I didn't know about ROS sanders. Thanks for the link. I then went looking for some additional info as I only have a cheap Skil ROS that was given to me and I really don't like it at all. The Rigid recommended in the article got very poor reviews on the Home Cheapo website and there were many. So I started looking at the others. The one that surprisingly had the best and most highly rated reviews was the Milwaukee with variable speed. Model 6021-21 does anyone here own one and what do you think of it? The price on the Milwaukee CPO site is $50 until Monday which is $20 cheaper than the Home Cheapo price. Sounds like a pretty good sander from the reviews and unless someone tells me it sucks I think I will pick one up.