Thread: Pen on a mission

Pen on a mission

I received this quite a while ago, but never got around to posting it. We have communicated several times and thought you would enjoy seeing the Mission this pen has been put to. Enjoy:

Mr. Hill,
    My name is <Rob>, currently stationed in Baghdad. I wanted to write you and thank you for your hard work and effort to help soldier, sailors, airmen and marines who are deployed into harms way. We are currently occupying a former palace of Saddam's
    (http://www.globalsecurity.org/milita...faw-925815.jpg)
    . Though it appears nice of course there are many of the same issues as the rest of the country (lack of water, electricity, etc) The men and women serving here all appreciate the well wishes and gifts from everyone back in the states and would love to thank each and every one of you personnally. The pen you made and Hannah donated will find a special place in my gear and will be well used. We appreciate your prayers and will do our very best to fulfill the expectations and complete our duty to the best of our ability. Thank you again...

Merry Christmas Jim & Family,
    Its Christmas evening here in Iraq and I want to thank you and yours for your prayers and the pictures. I will try to see if I can get a picture of the crew here and send it back to you as well. Your letter finds us all well and safe. You have a lovely family and group of friends.
    Christmas day here has gone very well for all of us. It started out with Bing Crosby singing White Christmas and even included someone showing "A Christmas Story" for a good time. The mess hall put on a big spread for us all and tried a little more to make us feel at home. Its not home, but they try very hard. I got to speak to my wife and kids, as well as my parents. There really isn't much more a guy can ask for than that on a day like today. Presents and whatnot really take their proper place in the background on days like this, when you can appreciate everything else in your life.
    Your pen continues to perform well in the mission I have given it. Though you intended it to write home, it is helping me to track some of the most wanted men in Iraq. A noble mission for any pen, especially one that took so much time to craft.
    I really hope you and your family have a great Christmas. That little girl of yours I am sure will keep you on your toes all day long. Thank you for sharing your time with me and "keeping me company" from a distance. Take care and I will talk to you again soon.

Rob
    For every 99 people that can handle adversity there is only one that can handle prosperity. Lord let me be that man!

Thanks for sharing your letters Jim, its great to know your gift is appreciated. You may have a friend for life.