Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: A Wooden Straightedge

A Wooden Straightedge

In a previous thread on Precision Tools in Woodworking (which got way too long and tangled), the subject of ancient methods of creating a straightedge was mentioned. A fascinating discussion also popped up about how making an accurate straightedge, or even a very flat surface, required not two but three pieces. Here is the ancient way precision straightedges were made, using just two pieces of wood, as I was taught it in Japan. Thoughts and comments are appreciated.

Awasejougi01FL.jpgAwasejougi02EndProfile.jpgAwasejougi03Open.jpgAwasejougi04End.jpgAwasejougi05OpenProfile.jpg

In Japan they call this tool an “awasej jougi” with “awase” meaning to “join together,” and “jougi” meaning “straightedge”. I made this one for fettling the soles of wooden-bodied planes. Unlike a steel rule, it will not dull or chip a plane’s blade. For obvious reasons, it is useful to notch the reference edge where it would meet a plane’s blade, but I have not done that to this one.

I don’t know where this type of tool originated, but I don’t pretend it was Japan. The ones I have seen in the West were joined with two dowels. Mine is joined with two dovetail pins made of a Japanese variety of closed-grained oak called shiragashi (quercus myrsinifolia). And because hinoki is a bit soft, I have glued bamboo wear strips to its edges. This tool is 26 or 27 years old and has seen a lot of use. The wood is unfinished hinoki. If you decide to make one, I do not recommend using the oaks commonly available in the US for the body: too unstable IMO.

Hinoki, aka Japanese Cypress, is a most excellent wood highly prized in Japan. While not germane, it is interesting to note that scientific investigations have revealed that Hinoki develops its maximum strength around 300 years after the tree is felled. This characteristic is thought to be a major factor in the number of truly old shrines and temples remaining in Japan. Hinoki is pure joy to work with handtools, more than any other wood I know.

Another interesting thing about this piece of wood is that it was once a part of one of the 125 buildings that comprise Ise Shrine in Mie Prefecture in Japan.

http://www.isejingu.or.jp/english/ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ise_Grand_Shrine

As you may know, some of these buildings are rebuilt every 20 years consistent with Shinto principles of death/renewal. The wood remaining from the dissassembled buildings is called Shingi, (神木)or God’s Wood, and is eagerly sought by the devoted at high prices. I didn’t pay anything for it, though. Here’s the story.

When I was a much younger man with a full head of hair and faith in humankind, I was in a town called Ise Shima near the Grand Ise Shrine. The plan was to see the Shrine (or at least those parts they let the public see) the next morning, but a typhoon passed through during the night. One of the giant trees surrounding the grounds was toppled by the high winds smashing a building to pieces. By the time I arrived early the next morning, the Shrine was closed, and workmen where already busy with chainsaws cutting the boles of trees fallen across the path into segments for removal. Others were cleaning up the debris of the destroyed building. Of course, most of this debris was pieces of shattered hinoki wood, a significant amount of which had been flung outside the grounds by the violent impact and the high winds. While everyone was gawking at the damage, I begged a workman for a piece of the shattered wood from his garbage pile and, with his permission, I wandered off with the biggest piece I could handle and hope to carry back home on the train.

Some people warned me that wood obtained from such a tragedy could only bring bad luck. Later, others accused me of impious behavior for turning God’s Wood into tools and jigs. But I think the wood deserved better than to end its existence in a garbage incinerator in the ignoble company of old newspapers and dried potato peelings. In any case, because of the source of the wood, as well as for sentimental reasons, I tend to treat this tool with unusual respect.

The two dovetail pins ensure the halves lock up very tight. To make the edges straight, the halves are joined, and the edges are shot using a well-tuned plane with the blade at a very fine setting. Because this tool is short at only 400mm long, a dai naoshi plane works well with this hard variety of bamboo. Separating the halves and placing the two edges together reveals major deviations from straight/flat by effectively doubling the error. Finer corrections readily produce a very straight/flat edge. I have never precisely measured the degree of straight/flat this tool is cable of achieving, but it is good enough to tune the sole of a plane. Looking at it last night, it appeared to be few thousandths out of tolerance, probably a result of the bamboo. Perhaps if I had made the tool with the off-edge cut to a curve like Christopher Schwarz recommended recently it would be more stable. It would certainly be more attractive. It's a very utitilitarian, no-nonsense, design.

My tool has one fault that would be easy to correct, but which I have neglected to undertake for sentimental reasons: The bamboo wear strips are too wide and do not let light pass as easily as narrower edges would. If you decide to make one, I suggest you use very stable wood, and saw the two halves from the same piece of wood and located immediately adjacent to each other.

While it would serve, I don’t use this tool as winding sticks. I use two framing squares instead.
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 02-14-2013 at 12:34 PM. Reason: Removed link to Blog

Very nice story

I made my windingsticks in the same manner, but without that nifty dovetail connector.

This is great Stanley! Mine don't connect... I've been wanting to make another pair anyway so next time I'll join them with dowels or dovetail - would definitley make truing easier than trying to get them aligned in the vise by feel. Thanks for posting. I love shop made tools.

Quote Originally Posted by Stanley Covington View Post

When I was a much younger man with faith in humankind.
    I think what is most impressive is that you made these before the age of 12 (I'm assuming you lost your faith in human kind at the same age as me )
    Woodworking is terrific for keeping in shape, but it's also a deadly serious killing system...

4. The technique of using three straightedges is described in this book:

"Wayne R. Moore's "Foundations of Mechanical Accuracy", Moore Special Tool Co., 1970. This fascinating book describes how reference tools and machines with accuracies on the order of millionths of an inch are built."

http://www.scribd.com/doc/71698017/F...nical-Accuracy

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Stanford View Post
    The technique of using three straightedges is described in this book:

"Wayne R. Moore's "Foundations of Mechanical Accuracy", Moore Special Tool Co., 1970. This fascinating book describes how reference tools and machines with accuracies on the order of millionths of an inch are built."

http://www.scribd.com/doc/71698017/F...nical-Accuracy
    Charlie:

Thanks! A wonderful book, but I was unable to download it from the link you gave. This one worked for me. http://pdfspider.com/go/Megashares/pdf/497696/download/

Also, this webpage I found has some documents I think George Wilson referred to in another post.

http://www.circuitousroot.com/artifi...ing/index.html

Also....cool marking knife!
    Woodworking is terrific for keeping in shape, but it's also a deadly serious killing system...

7. Quote Originally Posted by Stanley Covington View Post
    Charlie:

Thanks! A wonderful book, but I was unable to download it from the link you gave. This one worked for me. http://pdfspider.com/go/Megashares/pdf/497696/download/

Also, this webpage I found has some documents I think George Wilson referred to in another post.

http://www.circuitousroot.com/artifi...ing/index.html
    Thanks, the link I provided to Scribd. does require a day subscription.

Chas.
    Last edited by Charlie Stanford; 02-14-2013 at 9:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Griggs View Post
    Also....cool marking knife!
    I was thinking the same thing!
    " Be willing to make mistakes in your basements, garages, apartments and palaces. I have made many. Your first attempts may be poor. They will not be futile. " - M.S. Bickford, Mouldings In Practice

Likely good enough for wood working. Still not the best way to get real precision. I can't recommend using real soft woods for a precision tool,though,for obvious reasons.

I agree about oak. I have a 19th.C. carpentry book that states: "Never guarantee an oak door."

Stanley, thanks for the very interesting story. And thanks to those who posted the links. I have used the 3 board method as it was described in " Care and Repair of Shop Machines" by John White from Taunton Press when tuning my 6" jointer.
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Griggs View Post
    I think what is most impressive is that you made these before the age of 12 (I'm assuming you lost your faith in human kind at the same age as me )
    The Japanese saying that describes my youth best goes 少年老い易く学 成り難し, which roughly translates to ; "The boy grows old so easily, but learns with such difficulty."

Stan
    Last edited by Stanley Covington; 02-14-2013 at 11:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    Likely good enough for wood working. Still not the best way to get real precision. I can't recommend using real soft woods for a precision tool,though,for obvious reasons.

I agree about oak. I have a 19th.C. carpentry book that states: "Never guarantee an oak door."
    Can you recommend an efficient way to make a 3-piece joined straightedge?

The bamboo really helps overcome the shortcomings of softwood. Tough stuff. Higher tensile strength than A36 steel. More resistant to crushing/denting than hickory. Makes a very durable floor, especially for those who like to wear high heels.

What a coincidence. I built a series of expensive custom doors from American white oak and red oak for a customer in Las Vegas years ago. Customer Satisfaction was impossible. Never again will I make an Oak door, or for that matter, anything from Oak that requires serious stability. And red oak especially is such an ugly wood, IMO.
    Last edited by Stanley Covington; 02-14-2013 at 11:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Saffold View Post
    Stanley, thanks for the very interesting story. And thanks to those who posted the links. I have used the 3 board method as it was described in " Care and Repair of Shop Machines" by John White from Taunton Press when tuning my 6" jointer.
    Paul
    Paul:

Did you go so far as to combine the 3 boards (I assume they are wood) into a single tool that would fit into a toolchest? George and Charlie have really piqued my interest. I would love to see some examples.

Stan

Quote Originally Posted by Stanley Covington View Post
    And red oak especially is such an ugly wood, IMO.
    Here in the area where every third tree is a huge red oak tree......I agree. For some reason, everyone here had stuff made of that horrible open pored nastiness 20 years ago. When I worked at a cabinet factory, they had cherry, maple, oak, hickory....the oak was probably 80% of the orders. Just awful! The doors from the others (maybe with the exception of hickory) looked SO much better. I don't know what the upcharge would've been but it would've been worth it whatever it was.

There are still a lot of folks around here who are partial to the open grain in oak, not people who have ever worked much wood, but folks who grew up liking that look for some reason.

I once dissuaded the owner of a local hotel franchise from using red oak to redo the place by casually remarking that all the electric chairs are made of red oak .In places without 4 star ratings .