Thread: Oh George, Please forgive me. She was just too tempting.

Oh George, Please forgive me. She was just too tempting.

I tried. Oh, how I tried. But I just could not resist the gentle curves of her form flowing from one side to the other. Such a gilded Lilly. Her 17 ppi sliced right through to the full depth of her spine and the 0.024" width of her kerf right into the oak of my heart. Alas, I am doomed to the engravings of Catherine. DCP_1636.jpgDCP_1637.jpgDCP_1638.jpgDCP_1639.jpg
    Last edited by Ron Bontz; 02-16-2013 at 9:45 PM. Reason: Credit to engraver

Say 3 Hail Marys.

You are really making great saws,Ron. How did you get your name on the brass back? Are you doing some kind of etching process? I really like the handle.

As eyecatching as the detail on the front is, I'm more captured by the handle - the curves look spot on to my untrained eye, and seem to echo the comfort I find in my favorite plane handles, with no real flats and that comfortable elliptical cross section. Just looks really well executed and comfortable . . .
    " Be willing to make mistakes in your basements, garages, apartments and palaces. I have made many. Your first attempts may be poor. They will not be futile. " - M.S. Bickford, Mouldings In Practice

Hi George. I thought you might appreciate a little humor. The handle started out life as a defective handle of Madrone Burl. I was making some saws for a very generous person, who supplied the burl and then some. The slit saw had deflected inside and I didn't detect it until I milled the mortice. Usually I throw those away as they are hard to repair well. But this wood was just too pretty so I carefully sliced and epoxied a section in and re cut. I got lucky and the glue did not grab the cutter. Catherine Kennedy engraved it for me. She did a very nice job. My name was machine engraved the way I do all my saws. I don't really care for the stamps. As far as the handle... I was experimenting with handles and the same gentleman sent me a couple of handle shapes for the hang angle he liked and we went from there. In effect we were designing his handle. I don't care for the flats found on most saw handles so I increased the thickness and use a full radius. I have been tweaking my handles ever since. Some day I might get there.

Ron,

That full radius adds awesome visual appeal!! I suspect it'd better fit my big ol' paw, too..
    One can never have too many planes and chisels... or so I'm learning!!

That's some curvy back saw.

I think you are doing fine,Ron. Are you selling these saws? What would one cost?

Ron's saws have always been eye catchers.

His sharpening skills have caught up to his design sensibility.
    We should worry, this is how Bridge City tools started...

Thank you, Jim. I am flattered.
    George. I have a web site. BontzSawWorks.net (under construction). The gilded lilly would be around $300.00 to $400.00. There doesn't appear to be much out there to compare it to. I hope to offer the MOP as well as custom engraving as an option. Much to learn. So we will see as time goes.