Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is this plug for?

What is this plug for?

I just moved into a new (to me) house and it is wired for a home theater system. There is a wall plate for hooking a receiver up to the speakers but there is also a plug coming out of the wall. I assume it has something to do with the speaker set up but can't figure out exactly what for. So the question is - what is the plug for?
    Attached Images Attached Images

I don't know, but I would suggest that before you touch it you make sure that it's not LIVE. Homeowners do very strange things in their houses sometimes.

Don't know either; are there powered speakers that would go to a switced outlet in the reiever?

The other end should come out behind the tv or close to it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Walter Plummer View Post
    My thoughts exactly. It would allow teh TV to be powered up when the Amp/receiver is powered up.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Walter Plummer View Post
    Either that, or it was an extension cord for a projector... any hookups on the ceiling?

Either way, that's against code.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

!

Looks like one of my pictures! Can't tell if it's female, or male. If it is a male electrical cable, then I agree it is to power a TV or Projector and plugs into the receiver. If it is female, then I'm confused with why at this location.
    Do you see another end anywhere? If you can find it, first test for power with a volt/ohm meter. If no power, then use some scrap wire, even speaker wire, with the ohm meter and check for continuity back to this plug. If you don't fine another end that would mate to this, then look for a wall receptacle in a location that a TV or Projector would have been that doesn't have power and test it for continuity with this. That will verify that it is the same cable or not. Remember, ALWAYS TEST EVERY OUTLET FOR POWER BEFORE TESTING FOR CONTINUITY!!! If you find the other end, you can always try use this line to pull Romex and terminate the ends with a single point wall element (I wouldn't use a duplex) and maybe get the red/orange plates and receptacles or paint two white plates to designate that these go together. Better yet, label them with a label gun, like the speaker plugs are, so there is no confusion in the future. Oh, and congrats on the new to you house! Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

Definitely appears to be male. Looks like an appliance plug to me.

This is a WAG on my part. Like others, I think it nothing more than an extension cord intended to go from the switched outlet on the back of a receiver to power up a subwoofer or set. You should see the other end somewhere. If not, then it really is a head-scratcher. I hope you will let us know as I am really curious now.

I agree that that's the end of a typical "appliance" extension cord and the other end it likely somewhere up above that point where some piece of equipment...like a TV screen is located. While this isn't exactly code-legal, I assure you it's not uncommon!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Plug it in and see what happens. .

Just kidding. Do you know where the other end comes out?

I have seen this done, and it was always a means to provide power to something else. Usually, this has gone the other direction with the power cord on the bottom near an outlet or power strip. In fact, I just saw something similar to this for a setup on the TV Show called "I want that".

I might refer to this as a power bridge. Look at this here:

http://www.powerbridgesolution.com/a...werbridge.html

So, I had the cable company come to set up the Internet and the installers were confused about why the plug coming out of the wall was male and not female as well. As far as I can tell the cable doesn't have any current and there is no other end. There is another receptacle(?) though higher up on the wall where some HDMI cables come out for the TV. Maybe the female end of the power cord is supposed to come out there as well but got pulled back into the wall.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I got around to taking the wall plate off to see where the other end of the extension cord went, and ended up pulling it out of the wall. The extension cord ended up only being 3' long so I suspect that once I get the TV set up I plug it into the extension cord and feed them both back down through the wall and out the lower plate to plug in the TV.

I was suspecting that the female end had fallen into the wall. Strange that it was only a 3'...that would mean that whomever put it there would have had the plug from the TV also in the wall. It's "bad" enough putting an extension cord down like that, but if it is at least long enough to get from point A to point B, the "bad" is a little "less bad". The TV plug should never be "in the wall" no matter what. If it becomes partially separate, it's a major fire hazard.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...