Thread: A new bandsaw gloat.....

A new bandsaw gloat.....

I mostly wander around the neanderthal forum commenting here and there and just soaking it all up..... And I myself tend to lean more towards the hand tools and most of my woodworking book library centers around the tools without cords....as well as my collection of tools... But sometimes, a power tool purchase is necessary to assist in the processing of materials.

I have wanted this thing for a few years, and finally drove across town to Highland Woodworking and picked it up Thursday afternoon....

we just recently moved and I haven't even gotten my work space set up, and the bandsaw has gotten as far as me bolting on the table after putting the base together, it hasnt even been plugged in yet, and then it was off to play with another train for a few days....

either way, I am pretty excited to have it !

Nice saw -- congratulation!!

John
    John Bailey
    Sawmill Creek is a member supported forum. Click here to donate.

Congrats. Good looking saw. Looks like it is the same configuration as a Laguna LT14-SE. The base elevates the table to be a nice height for precision work.

Nice pick up! I have been looking for a bandsaw for months! Seems good ones are tuff to come by used. The saw u have has made the final round. Everyone who has that model loves it!

That's a nice saw John.

I have had the original 10-340, that it is based on, for a few years now, and I've never regretted the purchase.

Nice Gloat!
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

I've had one since soon after they came out. I was sceptical about that skinny drive belt but I've resawn 10" and no issues with anything slipping. Unless they've changed something with the light, the nut in the column may work itself loose and the light won't stay where you put it. You access the nut by removing the switch. I could never figure out a good way to tighten the nut. I removed mine and made up a home made magnetic base for it. It was pretty easy to do. The other mod I did was to make up wood blade guides for the sides. I did a writeup and posted a couple pics here a few days ago. The factory blade guides are fine for wider blades but for 1/4" and under I'm not sure any bearing style blade guide is going to work well. There isn't much metal between the bottom of the gullet and the back of the blade for bearings to ride on. If the blade's teeth touch wooden or coolblock guides, it's not going to hurt the teeth. What blade came on it? The blade that came on mine was I think 5/8" and wasn't bad but there are better. Highland sells Wood Slicer which gets pretty good reviews or there are other good online sources.

Would I buy it again? Absolutely!
    Last edited by Curt Harms; 02-18-2013 at 7:45 AM.

That's a great looking bandsaw! It's time to get pretty saw blades !

It came with a 5/8" blade on it. I was told to assume that it is mediocre at best, so I picked up a wood slicer blade and a 3/8" regular blade while I was there.... Also, I got a hock blade and chip breaker and a DVD by David Finck on making wooden planes... I have owned the book of his for some time, and I bought a nice chunk of Osage a few years ago that is good and dry, and it will be my first project with the saw.... I just need a window of time to finish assembling the saw and get it set up !

Quote Originally Posted by John A. Callaway View Post
    It came with a 5/8" blade on it. I was told to assume that it is mediocre at best, so I picked up a wood slicer blade and a 3/8" regular blade while I was there....
    Good call on that.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Quote Originally Posted by John A. Callaway View Post
    It came with a 5/8" blade on it. I was told to assume that it is mediocre at best, so I picked up a wood slicer blade and a 3/8" regular blade while I was there.... Also, I got a hock blade and chip breaker and a DVD by David Finck on making wooden planes... I have owned the book of his for some time, and I bought a nice chunk of Osage a few years ago that is good and dry, and it will be my first project with the saw.... I just need a window of time to finish assembling the saw and get it set up !
    That's cool! You must be up to start new projects ! Goodluck on that .