Thread: First "winged" project....Lidded box

First "winged" project....Lidded box

I think we newbies want to try a little bit of everything, or at least I do.

I decided to try something "winged". This lidded box is a little over 4" tall and 5" across. My wife and I both love things with Asian design, so that's the direction I took this.....

Spalted, white birch base with Black walnut top.................

And did you destroy your fingers, finish sanding after turning, or do some other option I am not aware of?
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Bowl and top look great! I just don't think they belong together.

Afraid I agree with Nathan, though I would have likes to see the edges of the top thinner.

Not sure what shape it would go with on that scale, maybe a square box 7-8" that was inverted to the top.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

I'm a total newbie, but I love the contrast of light and dark and think they compliment each other beautifully. I love the asian flair you gave this piece and too me it's absolutely gorgeous.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Kent View Post
    And did you destroy your fingers, finish sanding after turning, or do some other option I am not aware of?
    I was able to "power sand" a lot of it....Hand sanding is pretty much mandatory on the corners....You certainly have to be aware of where everything is while tuning.

Nathan and Thom....Your thoughts are appreciated....I do agree that there are some scale issues. I like the top and may move it to a new taller piece....I've only been turning for about 5 months so my "eye" for these things isn't as honed as some of you.

I'm glad you like it, Vicki!