Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tersa knife options - help needed

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    Light cuts are fine and can improve surface.But when dealing with grit ,glue,paint ,etc. less damage is done to your knives,by fast heavy cuts. Counterintuitive but true.
    I will remember this. I guess the idea is to take a bigger bite quickly to try and avoid the grit or glue on the surface.

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn Floyd View Post
    My apologies for a mistake in a post I made yesterday. I am at work now. The label on the
    Tersa knives is KNICC410T Carbide, not M42. I guess this is why they hold up well. We buy them from Carolina Specialty Tools, Inc. They're pricey but good.
    Thanks for checking Lynn. It costs $240 for a set of 3x260mm at simantech. I guess if the carbide does not chip easily and still gives a nice surface, it might be worth the investment.

Tersaknives.com has great prices, and the knives they sell are genuine Tersa. You might want to try out the M42, the cut isn't quite as smooth as the hss, but they seem to last a bit longer. I have the same jointer, and have ordered many sets of knives from those guys.

The M42 is also a true high speed .Dont know why companies make no attempt to be clear about these things. The steel that sight lists as "high speed" is T1.Why don't they say so and mention they think it leaves a better surface than M42 ? I do give them credit for not incorrectly calling the chrome steel high speed. It is clear to me that they are pushing the T1,good choice,but they should add M42 will last longer on hard things like glue......that's what the OP needs to know to make his decision.

I've been using just the M42 for some time now and they do the job.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I use M42 from Global, best price I have found. As a side note I tried several "Clone" knives and none were up to the task. I buy Tersa Brand only now. Some of the places do nat actually tell you they are clones, and one even lied to me and said they were Genuine Tersa's, so watch who you deal with. The packaging on the clones is "Almost" just like the originals.