Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: V-3000 or Super Dust Gorilla

V-3000 or Super Dust Gorilla

I came into some money so I plan to upgrade my Dust collector.

Presently I am looking at the Ornieda V-3000 or the 3HP Super dust gorilla.

I have calculated the worst duct run. It is the equivalent of 71 ft of hard duct in series with 13 ft of 4in flexhose.

I calculated the pressure drop to be 5 inches.

From their chart I believe the SDG has 11inches of preassure at 600cfm ant the
    V-3000 has 9 inches of preassure.

Do my calculations seem right? I used Rick Peters and some book by Woodstock Inter Inc to calculate the preassure loss. They gave foot equivs from the different types of elbows, wyes, etc.

I have no idea how much to had for filter loss.

The difference in price is about $400. I asked Ornieda and of course they said go with the more expensive one. I just would like a reality check

I would like to buy this week!

Thanks

Dave

Do they have the same size filters? And is the impeller the same? Those are the important details to me.

Dave,
    I went through the same process about a year ago before pulling the trigger on the Oneida Smart Pro. Tomorrow when I get to work I will reply with a graph I developed that compares the performance curves of 10 Oneida collectors on a single sheet, along with the system curves for my ducting layout. It's more information than you will ever get from Oneida.

I went through this about 2 years ago. I did all of the calculations and determined that for my needs, the V3000 was the right chioce. Less money, less shipping. I couldn't be happier. It is installed in a 3 car garage with about 55 feet of DC pipe with numerous connectors for the longest of 5 runs. I can't precisely recommend the best solution for you, but I have taken CFM and SP measuremenst for each of my collection points and they are above the minimum recommended requirements for any of my tools. I have several pics of the installation here:
    https://picasaweb.google.com/dmshops...ustCollection#
    Dick Mahany.

Your pressure drops seem low to me. Try the following link from Bill Pentz's web site and look for his spread sheet called Static Calc. It will tell you how to account for the filter loss and the losses from the cyclone itself as well as machine hoods. Personally, even with a $400 gap in price, I would go with the bigger machine. When you add the cost of the ductwork and the sweat equity that you put into the installation the $400 will seem to shrink.

http://billpentz.com/woodworking/cyclone/

Edited for spelling

Do you ever plan to move? Upgrade to a bigger shop?

I went through this dance about 6 months ago, see the lengthy thread in the Workshop forum (where this will probably get moved to). In the end, the price difference was so little, that I went with the 5HP Super Gorilla. Because it worked now and practically guaranteed me that I "future proofed" my money...

Dave,
    I've attaced a set of fan curves for 10 Oneida collectors. It's a busy graph, but might be of use to you. The CFM is along the x axis on the bottom, and the Static Pressure is along the y axis on the left. The lines sloping from left to right are the 10 dust collectors, labeled with a number on each end. These numbers correspond to the descriptions at the top of the page. The V-3000 si line number 5, and lines 1, 2, 3 and 6 are Super Gorilla's in different HP ratings. The lines that slope from bottom to top are system curves for a couple different ducting design layouts in my shop.

You can see that the 3 HP super gorilla (line 3) has a flatter curve than the V 300 (line 5). The two fairly steep lines towards the right (lines 10 adn 7) are the Smart Pro machines with VFD's on the motors. I purchased the 5 HP Smart Pro, and couldn't be happier.

The idea is to plot your system curve against the fan curve and find an intersection point. Then check the velocities in the mains and drops. Do this for various machines to find out which is the governing unit.

Hope this helps. Good luck!
    Attached Files Attached Files

Blog Entries
    Thanks, that is interesting, something that Oneida should already have available on their website but doesn't. I presume you consolidated curves already available on the Oneida site. Beware though, as to the accuracy of their curves. For the 2 hp Super Dust Gorilla (the one I have) they have 2 very different curves that show peak suction about 2 inches different. My measurements show that the PDF curve in the specifications section is much more accurate than the one that pops up when you click on the red "fan curve" which calls all of the data into question. Had I known that curve was the one to consider, I would have gone with the 3 hp version. But mine still does a very good job due to proper duct sizing (7 inch main vs 6 inch). Graph is hard to read, but if I interpret it correctly it looks like you have plotted the correct curve.

Dave, to simplify your search, just look for the highest suction that you can afford at the 800-1000 cfm range, which is the flow you need for the larger machines with a 6" connection or your tablesaw with top and bottom connections. My recommendation: 3hp Super Dust Gorilla by a mile. I would consider that one and the ClearView as the two go-to cyclones. And if you choose a cyclone in that range, definitely go with a 7" main.
    Last edited by Ole Anderson; 02-19-2013 at 9:19 AM.

Keep in mind that company system curves tend to be optomistic, and machinery CFM suggestions tend to be light. Flex knocks the socks out of cfm. If your real world results don't match your calcaulations there is no cheap fix. Think not only of the machines you have today but what you may get in the future. For a few hundred I'd always hedge my bets. Not fun to have to add the cost of new dust collection when that screaming deal on the 20" planer you've always wanted comes along. Dave

I didn't run any calculations, just went with the V-3000. I wanted to overbuy somewhat, as who knows what the future holds and more may be needed. Very happy with this DC.

I think your calculations are not correct; 71 foot of 6" ducting (you didn't specify the diameter) and 13 foot of 4" flex gives about 25-30" of static pressure drop
    depending on other factors such as filter, cyclone body, etc (using Bill Pentz calculator).

I am not a "always bigger is better" guy but good DC is something you can never have too much of. The design of V-series doesn't give as much separation of fine dust as the Gorilla series. $400 extra is a very easy decision making if it was me.

Mreza, I'm often wrong so correct me but I had understood the V system cyclone was the slightly better fine dust separator due to the longer cone. Better is a relative term. Dave

Quote Originally Posted by mreza Salav View Post
    I think your calculations are not correct; 71 foot of 6" ducting (you didn't specify the diameter) and 13 foot of 4" flex gives about 25-30" of static pressure drop
    depending on other factors such as filter, cyclone body, etc (using Bill Pentz calculator).

I am not a "always bigger is better" guy but good DC is something you can never have too much of. The design of V-series doesn't give as much separation of fine dust as the Gorilla series. $400 extra is a very easy decision making if it was me.
    Hi, my calculations are much different for 71 feet of 6" pipe and 13 feet of 4" flex I get

400 CFM 2.95"WC

500 CFM 3.26"WC

600 CFM 3.80"WC

Regards, Rod.

Dave, I don't remember you being wrong and I don't have any test to back up which one has a better separation (and I don't know if one exists to show which one is better) but I think based on my reading the similar design used at CV, Gorilla, and Grizzly provides better separation. I think the v-series is the more economical version (i.e. cheaper to build) and if indeed it would provide better separation I think it would be adapted into their "industrial" line. I am guessing it's more than just "longer" cone but I could be easily wrong...

Rod, the static pressure of just the pipes at those lengths and CFM's is what you say, what I wrote is how much drop OP has to take into account in his "system" (which is btw for a higher CFM), this is taking into account the drop due to cyclone itself, filters, seasoning of filters, etc. Bill Pentz's site has a good spread sheet into which you plug in your numbers and it gives your total SP of the whole system. There are a whole bunch of parameters that could change the final result very easily...

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    Hi, my calculations are much different for 71 feet of 6" pipe and 13 feet of 4" flex I get

400 CFM 2.95"WC

500 CFM 3.26"WC

600 CFM 3.80"WC

Regards, Rod.
    Rod, won't the 14 ft of flex put the SP over 5" assuming some curving of the pipe? I thought 4" flex ran something above 3" per 10 ft at 4000 FPM. Given that flex is less than 4" that equates to approx 325 cfm. As you increase the velocity the SP goes exponential on you. Dave