Thread: Working on a plank

Cool Working on a plank

Rumor had it that there was Oak under all of thisSDC14348.jpgSo, maybe a little scrub plane work to find outSDC14349.jpg H-F #33, going directly across the grain. Works, but takes awhile on a plank this long. Time to go a little bigger?SDC14351.jpgRunning at the diagonals. You see, i needed a couple blanks from the plank. I ripped one 2x2 from one edge, and then ripped another from the other edge. Cut them in to two 19"~ long leg blanks. Had to get rid of the saw marks on one faceSDC14354.jpgBy doing them in pairs, I had a little more room for a plane. One side wasn't bad. but the other three?SDC14356.jpgNeeded a few larger planes. Got out the #5s, and a #6, and went to town on themSDC14353.jpgUntil all the faces, on all the legs were doneSDC14358.jpgI even drug out a block plane, or two, just for some "detail" work. Just playing in the shop, needing to make a TV Table..

I found out there is a bit of figure going on in that old boardSDC14357.jpgJust have to place those legs where they show off the figure. That large scrub plane is a Parplus #5, with an 8" radius for a camber on the iron. That old oak never stood a chance. The little Millers Falls smoother is a #8, about the same size as a Stanley #3. I had a top in the clamps right nowSDC14361.jpg Just pine planks. I will be giving a few planes "test" Drives across it, in order to smooth the top, and check on a few plane's irons. I'll let it sit for a day, first.