Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: PM 3520B Heart Pacemaker Potential Interference

are your buildings older with an older electrical system . mine did that under an older electrical system. but disappeared when I moved into newer premises. the other alturnative is going to a treadle lathe. the static will disappear and you should get health benefits from it. I think that you can get a static suppressor from the electric motor manuf. I could have gotten one for my toshiba motor. I used a toshiba controller also. this goes back into the 90's. I would ask your Dr. that installed the pacemaker if it can interfere with it. if anyone is going to know he should
    ron
    sorry I didn't see the rest of the posts when I replied
    Last edited by ron david; 02-19-2013 at 4:54 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Gilfor View Post
    Typical electrical equipment are examined by the IEEE (elctrical engineering trade group, and either approved or not. You are hard pressed to find a device that's not approved.
    Everyone has hit on all of the other points, so I'll hit this one...

The IEEE does not examine any equipment. The IEEE is a professional association for electrical engineers, as well as a publisher of a multitude of EE-related technical journals. They have zero to do with equipment, only keeping the professional name professional.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

This came up not to long ago on SMC. Contacting the manufacturer is your only viable option.
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

IEC/ISO standards for Medical devices(IEC 60601-1, Medical electrical equipment; ISO 14708-5, Active implantable medical devices—Part 5: Circulatory support devices) include as a requirment compliance with the EMC collateral standard (IEC 60601-1-2) these are well understood, fairly straight forward and are not new to the industry.

These General and Particular standards are based on the type of device. Corresponding essential performance of the device is verified prior to marketing of devices. Given that pacemakers are considered "life supporting equipment"(regardless of individuals needing only pacing on demand) these essential requirements are adjusted accordingly. The intention is that patients can resume normal daily activities, as appropriate. Safety concerns such as static discharge are addressed as well as the need to be functional after a defibrilliation event which can be as much as 5 kV or +/- 2.5 kV. (this is obviously a concern, and considered likely when we are talking heart issues). So My gut says that the MFR has these issues well in hand.

However many pacemakers and other implantable devices can be programmed or queried for data via a near field programmer, usually placed on the skin over the implant. So due dilligence is prudent, but these programmers are usually high frequency and AC frequencies (50/60 Hz) are likely well protected against.

My guess is that this is a conducted emission vs radiated as I assume that the controller is in a metal box of sorts and likely referenced to earth ground(for this EMI reason). I am unfamiliar with the applicable safety standard that the 3520 falls under, but mostly there are some level of EMC requirements in all product catagories. Given that you are not plugged into the wall also this shouldn't be conducted to you. I would verify your power source is proper as to not defeat the safety built into the Lathe.

Good Luck.

I would verify that all connections and grounding lugs etc are in order.

Contact the engineering department of the implant via their customer service department. The implant manufacturer should be able to answer your questions.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Well gentlemen, I really appreciate the responses. I will be talking to my cardiologist, pacemaker manufacturer, and PM for sure and let you know if any of their responses vary with the collective wisdom you have provided.

You were right on Jeff, AV replacement with mechanical valve and about 5" of the aorta. I do take a lot of precaution these days due to the scars of the past, but particularly now when on coumadin. I use a full helmet with supplied air, very sharp tools, and abide by (well, pretty much) working hours. The biggest problem I find now is floor clutter going unseen with the helmet on.

Nonetheless, that you all for your time, it was much appreciated. If you are ever in Acampo, CA, come by the shop and we'll swap some lies.

Doug

I have a PM 3520b, a pacemaker and take Coumidan. No one ever told me not to use the lathe, but did warn me about chain saws. As best I could determine they were most worried about the vibration from the chain saw dislodging the wires to my heart. I now use both the chain saw and the lathe and have never had a problem.