Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wood Haul [er] gloat

Looks like the kind of trailer I need to pick up! I like the size and the ramp for the tailgate! Where did you get it?
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Schlumpf View Post
    Looks like the kind of trailer I need to pick up! I like the size and the ramp for the tailgate! Where did you get it?
    Steve i'm not Roger,but the one i got that looks just like that, i got from Lowes.

Thanks Steve! I was hoping it was Lowes or Menards!
    Steve

4. Steve.......I got this one from Tractor Supply........I looked a few times at the ones at Lowes........This one has 15" wheels and a 3500 lb. axle and the A-frame tongue is made from C-box steel beams. The main trailer body is 3" heavy angle iron......2" coupler......manufactured by Carry-On.

http://www.carry-ontrailer.com/image...m/5X10GW-1.jpg

http://www.carry-ontrailer.com/products/show/5X10GW
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Thanks for the info Roger!
    Steve

6. I have been thinking about how to add a winch, pulley, and an A-Frame Arch onto this trailer without having to weld metal parts, so that it could be taken off when not used for hauling wood, and used for other types of hauling. I think it can be done with doubled up 2x4's and bolted onto the trailer. I have 2x4 slots on the side of the trailer, and they could be utilized as the hold for the outside, or the arch could be put on top of the rails and bolted in place.

I think I am going to pursue this...........might take some time for me to get to it, but I think this would be a neat idea, and no doubt the guys at the turning club will want me along with this trailer and my big chainsaw on cut & haul days for sure!

Trailer Mods

The first picture shows how I incorporated the 2" receiver on the bottom of the support rail on my trailer. You can also see that I added a steering shock to dampen/slow down the trailer movement when I load and unload mowers and other drive on equipment.

The boom is handy for pulling logs on the trailer and it easily loads machines that need to go the shop for repair. I have also used it to load tractor implements and a host of other stuff over the years. I probably should add an electric winch but it hasn't been much of a problem using the manual winch on the boom or my boat trailer winch that I modified to fit the hitch.

Because my trailer tilts I don't have to use the boom to load logs unless there will be multiple layers. The boat winch will pull up to two layers of logs easily. It also uses a nylon strap instead of the wire rope cable on the boom.

The nice thing about this setup is that the boom and winch are removed when i don't need them so they don't stay out in the weather and rust.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 02-21-2013 at 11:39 AM.

As soon as I get a receiver welded to the new pipe support in my shop the boom can be used inside the shop. I have also used it on the back of my truck to pull posts out of the ground but you have to put shoring underneath your truck hitch to keep the truck from squatting.

I fabricate so many of these types of attachments that I purchased a 20 foot length of 2.5" heavy wall square tubing. This saves me a lot of money as the receivers cost about 20 bucks each at HF or Tractor Supply. Somewhere in my travels years ago I purchased about 50 pieces of 2" square tubing about 36" long each. I use them for all kinds of projects for my tractor.

9. Thanks for the pics, Keith.........they are helpful to see how to configure the receiver........much appreciated! I like some of your ideas!

These all look to be great wood hauling trailers. I was very fortunate to received this trailer from my Dad about 1 year ago last June. I hope to use it to collect a little turning wood in the future.
    I usually find it much easier to be wrong once in while than to try to be perfect.

My web page has a pop up. It is a free site, just close the pop up on the right side of the screen

11. Quote Originally Posted by Bart Leetch View Post
    These all look to be great wood hauling trailers. I was very fortunate to received this trailer from my Dad about 1 year ago last June. I hope to use it to collect a little turning wood in the future.
    That looks beefy enough to carry quite a good haul of wood, Bart.......a little rail work and such and that one will be good for a lot of hauling.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Chandler View Post
    That looks beefy enough to carry quite a good haul of wood, Bart.......a little rail work and such and that one will be good for a lot of hauling.
    Roger

It will haul about 5000 lbs. We lightened the suspension up a bit it used to haul about 9200 lbs. Empty trailer weight is about 2500 lbs.

I hauled this 1963 Bobcat model 444 home as a load on this trailer it was my Dad's too. It has a new motor & fairly new hydraulics.

I think I'll be able to unload a new lathe when I get it even if it weighs a few pounds over 500 Lbs.
    Last edited by Bart Leetch; 02-23-2013 at 7:20 PM.
    I usually find it much easier to be wrong once in while than to try to be perfect.

My web page has a pop up. It is a free site, just close the pop up on the right side of the screen

Cool Trickin' out the trailer

A few things I am putting together to trick this wood hauler out a bit.........

A utility winch with remote A snatch block pulley and 32" log tongs

And a receiver tube for the winch mount

These things ought to help me get this trailer tricked out pretty well for hauling logs or whatever......I think I am going to make an arch lift and attach the snatch block pulley to it, and attach the arch to the frame from 4x4's and 2x4's..........bolted on, so I can remove them when I want......a better option for me than welding a steel frame......pics will be forthcoming when I get it all put together in a few weeks!
    Last edited by Roger Chandler; 02-25-2013 at 11:12 PM.

Looks like a carry-on, made about 10 miles from here. Tractor supply and I believe lowes sells them. I purchased one years ago after my old pickup gave up the ghost. Works like a charm. Much easier to load large tools, riding mowers, logs, etc, than trying to lift something into the pickup truck bed.

i used some scrap metal and hardware cloth to made three or four foot sides, works great for getting loads of mulch (a reason the wife will want you to purchase one). Can't do without it now, and don't miss the pickup truck as often.