Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dollhouse critique

Joe,
    I think you have done an excellant job, I too have to agree that shingles are needed and the ones you added look great. I would suggest that you offer them as an add on option. Bet you will have a lot of customers coming back to add them when they are done building the house.

Larry
    GWeike LC6090 130 Watt 24" x 36" Table
    Shopbot 96 x 48
    Kossel Clear 3D Printer

Joe

For roofing, could you not vector engrave the roof panel with a shingle or tile type of pattern? That would add a small amount of time to the making of the project but not add any materials.

Pete
    Trotec 25W Laser, ShopBot PRT Alpha 48 x96 CNC, Roland Vinyl Cutter, Compucarve CNC, Ricoh GXe7700s Dye-sub printer, Hotronix Clamshell Heat Press, Pad Printing Equip, all normal woodworking and electrical tools.

Here are pictures of the fully shingled house. Once the glue dried the bow got pulled out of the shingles and they are all laying nice and flat now. I still need to cut and paint some trim pieces to cover the tabs where the floors stick through the sides.
    DSCF4390.jpgDSCF4391.jpg

I think in order to keep the cost of the basic kit low I am going to include the individual cut shingles that I will make on the lathe with the kit and then sell the laser cut shingles as an accessory.
    Universal M-300 (35 Watt CO2)
    Universal X-660 (50 Watt CO2)

Hans (35 watt YAG)
    Electrox Cobra (40 watt YAG)

Glass With Class, Cameron, Wisconsin

It's nice,hope you do well with it. Just wondering about the scale,I think most of the furnishings available are are 1 inch to one foot.

Now it looks really sharp. Covering up those black edges really helped.

What material is is made of, looks like thin baltic birch plywood?
    George

Mell, 1":1' is the most common, the problem with that is the bed on my laser is only 18x32 so at that scale I am very limited. This is 1/2 scale or 1/2":1" which ends up being very close to G scale in model trains. If I get rid of the tabs I can and a back wall, scale it down by 50% and then I end up with O scale, and if I reduce it another 50% I end up at HO scale. I could go smaller and get into z and N but at some point the detail will be lost. This allows me to hit 5 markets with one design.

Hans (35 watt YAG)

Makes perfect sense now. The new pictures are remarkably real looking !

This one is made of reject door skins from a factory near me, they are maple on one side and hardboard on the back. They are .11 thick so I can make a half scale model of this for o scale by laminating two pieces of .027 veneer and a Ho scale by using a single thickness of .027 veneer and all the tabs fit without modification. But the problem is I only have a few dozen sheets of .027 veneer and after calling around everything else I can get it .022 unless I have it custom made.

Hans (35 watt YAG)

And a 1/88 model (1/87 is HO in model railroads, I don't think the difference will matter)
    It's 2 1/2 inches tall. It is the same file as I used for the bigger one just shrunk to 25% size. I need to make the dividers in the windows bigger and the top and bottom of the shutters bigger, for the most part they were burned away. I also need to make the deck railing a bit fatter, it is very fragile.
    DSCF4392.jpgDSCF4393.jpgDSCF4394.jpgDSCF4395.jpgDSCF4396.jpgDSCF4397.jpg
    Last edited by Joe Hillmann; 02-21-2013 at 12:10 PM.

Hans (35 watt YAG)

I just rechecked my math and the small one is actually 1/96 scale, not 1/88 so it is quite a bit smaller than HO scale. That May be an issue.

Hans (35 watt YAG)

Hi
    first I like it very much I wana try this how you guys design it what do you use ? do you use ready made templates?
    for shingles I would use selfadhesive veneer strips first engrave the shingles outline then cut a hole row they can then
    cut by the customer to size.
    greetings
    waltfl