Thread: Banksia Pod Source

Banksia Pod Source

While watching Tim Yoder turn a banksia pod on a stem with a finial (on TV) a few days ago, and my wife walks in and started ohhing and ahhing over the finished piece and finally says, I want you to make me one of those. Of course I've never turned banksia pods and I'm not sure who I should buy some from. I'd like to find someone who sells good quality, and sized pods, for a reasonable price. If you would be so kind as to share your pod source with me I'd really appreciate it.

Bob - I have never turned one of those but I think you can get them at both woodcraft.com and rockler.com.
    Regards,

Glen

Woodworking: It's a joinery.

I have bought 3 of them from Woodcraft. Have not turned any yet. One of these days. Somedays I think I am more of a wood hoarder than a woodturner

It's hard to find pods that are fat enough to do what you want. They look good to start with, but you turn away a lot of that diameter before you get down to some solid pod. I tried turning one of those forms like on Tim Yoder's show. The pod ended up being too thin in the middle to do much useful with. It ended up being an ornament. So the point it to pick them out in person and look for ones that are fat in the middle. (Fun to turn. Lots of fluffy red fuzz ... and watch out for the seeds.)

I got 6 off of e-bay a few years ago and paid less than $20 plus shipping

If there is a Rockler near you check them out as well. Last week when I was in my local store they had the biggest Banksia pods I have seen in person and very reasonably priced I thought.

Hey Bob, the sources mentioned are good, but my experience has been really good and more consistent with Jim at Australianburls. That being said, whenever I stop at a Woodcraft, I usually see what the pods look like and will pick up a nice one that has consistent shape, nice eyes and no big depressed areas. Any depressions mean that much more material will need removed to get down to solid stuff. To do the project Tim Yoder did...I watched it too, a medium sized pod will do nicely, a large fat for another buck or two will be even better and assure lots of solid material inside...and leave a little left over for an ornament or something.
    Look forward to seeing how yours comes out. The pods are messy, nasty little things, but I kinda like them for some reason.
    Last edited by Tim Rinehart; 02-20-2013 at 10:01 PM.
    Laugh at least once daily, even if at yourself!

You can get the things almost anywhere. I agree with what Ryan said, be sure you get a fat one. Also, make sure they are straight, with no dents or divots in the side. Buy from a retailer that will hand pick them to your specs. I would try CSUSA.

They are very dirty. Dust collection is nice. That fuzzy junk gets everywhere. Mine didn't have any seeds, but if they do, apparently they come out like bullets. Have fun and post your results.
    Brian

Sawdust Formation Engineer
    in charge of Blade Dulling

Blog Entries
    I've never quite understood that AustralianBurls site... entirely too many SOLD listings are still on it. I understand the desire to show what you normally carry / had at one point, but it seems like the majority of his listings are already sold. I spend way too much time saying "Ooh, that one looks ni.... dang, it's gone!". Move the sold stuff to the bottom of the page, at the very least, stop wasting my time.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

I second the pods from Jim at Austrailian Burls...and I agree his site is hard to navigate. Most of the times he has a link on the first page of a species section you can click and get all that is left available for that species. His facebook page is also a good source for what he has coming in. A lot of his stuff is sold before it even ships. His prices seem high at first, but he only carries the best. I haven't heard from anyone that was disappointed in the wood he sells. I know I have spent my share at his place. Unfortunately he only lives about 3 miles from me....way to close not to stop by and see what's new.

I've bought from these folks a couple of times and have been pleased. I really don't know how the prices compare with other sellers. They price them by size. For a bud vase you may want a tall regular one or for a tea light a short fat one. I agree if you have a local supplier it is better to put your hands on them.
    http://www.burlsource.com/burls-banksia-pod.html
    "I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." - Edgar Allan Poe

Bad Dog Burls has a selection based on size

Thanks for all the great suggestions. No, sadly I don't have a Rockler or any wood
    sources anywhere near me. I have already started looking at the sites you mentioned.
    I'll post pics if I turn out anything descent.

The australianburls site is quite atrocious, it's even popping a security warning up for me. I bet his bounce rate is through the roof, which is a shame as he has some very nice looking pieces on there. Magento Go, or any shopping cart CMS with a decent template would be a huge improvement and increase his sales. I've never seen the Tim Yoder show as I hardly watch any television. I guess I'll have to look online see if I can find the episode(s) with the banski pod.