Thread: positioner for 4" d.c. duct? also, light bulb positioners?

positioner for 4" d.c. duct? also, light bulb positioners?

Hey guys,

I'm looking for a way to mount my dust collector's 4" duct near my lathe in a way that is fully adjustable without any tools. Like some kind of heavy duty bendable wire. Any thoughts?

I'm also looking for a few light fixtures that will do the same for use at the lathe, so I can position them anywhere without hassle for better visibility when doing the insides of bowls for example.

I've had zero luck finding either. Usually when I can't find stuff it's because I don't remember/know the name.

Thanks
    Luke

http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/pag...01,62604,58751

Have you seen this approach from Lee Valley? Flex duct and fittings that will hold their positions. Other vendors have them also.
    Last edited by Paul Wunder; 02-21-2013 at 12:49 PM. Reason: spelling

Menards sells flex duct intended for irrigation but works perfectly and is pennies on the dollar when compared to buying from a wood workers store. I happened across it when I was on the road working and needed 4" flex hose

thomas that sounds good. can you help me find it on here?

http://menards.com/main/heating-cool...03.htm?ipp=100

Since he mentioned "Irrigation", I suspect that Thomas is suggesting this corrugated drainage pipe, which would be a poor choice (IMHO) to use for ductwork -- it will have very high resistance to airflow and very difficult to attach to ports or joints when cut. You should be able to buy decent 4" flexible hose at any woodworking store for a reasonable price, or buy it online from sources like Rockler or Penn State Industries.

The Lee Valley stuff is nice & rugged--but a little small and a lot expensive. A similar (cheap) idea in 3" would be RV sewer hose. Walmart 10' less than $10. There's 2 types--a soft wire-reinforced, like a heavy duty dryer vent, and a harder plastic corrugated type than "pops" as you extend it. Holds position in short lengths...a strip of 12G romex is a good support.

Yes any corrugated or spiral flex hose does awful things to CFM in long runs, but it's handy as a termination.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Burnette View Post
    a strip of 12G romex is a good support..
    Solid-core Romex can be used to position the light,.. just don't use it to power the light bulb. Solid-core wire is not to be used in such applications because it may, over time, fatigue and break. Right about that same time it could start a fire.
    One can never have too many planes and chisels... or so I'm learning!!

http://www.pennstateind.com/store/DCHT4.html

This another option from Penn State Industries. 4" ID plus fittings for $17.00

Not as rugged as Lee Valley, but will do the job. I have this one