View Poll Results: If you bought a new table saw, what brand/type it is and when you bought it?

Voters
273. You may not vote on this poll
  • I bought a Grizzly in or after 2006

40 14.65%
  • I bought a Unisaw in or after 2006

17 6.23%
  • I bought a slider in or after 2006

38 13.92%
  • I bought a Sawstop in or after 2006

62 22.71%
  • I bought a non-sawstop tablesaw before 2006 but would buy a Sawstop if I had to buy today.

51 18.68%
  • I bought a tabelsaw (not slider/sawstop) before 2006 and would not buy a Sawstop today.

65 23.81%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Poll: what brand of table saw you bought

This is just for my own curiosity. I have read many times from people working in tool stores that Sawstop is the only brand they sell. So one reason to have small sample about this.
    But that doesn't say anything about Grizzly for example which seems like a big player. Also it seems sliders are becoming more popular among hobbyist. So all things combined wanted to have sense of how each type is doing.
    I know SS launched in 2005 but I chose 2006 since I thought they were known much in the first year.

I am surprised by the number of SS buyers or would be buyers as well as number of slider owners.

Can I vote 4 times? I have bought 4 table saws since 2006, the latest being a Sawstop.

I'd buy a slider. I had a delta saw, and now have no TS. If I had to have power tools, I'd buy a slider, though. Sawstop would be the last saw I'd buy unless I had employees.

I think the questions are flawed.

For example, I chose that I "bought a Grizzly"

But I would also have selected " I would not have bought a Saw Stop"

But since I chose the first option ( sitting in the shop now) the other option which was true was not recorded...

So I don't think the results will reflect the reality that is out there...
    Too much to do...Not enough time...life is too short!

The decision of buying a Grizzly is already implicitly saying you didn't want to buy a Sawstop. So at least in that regard it is reflecting the reality.
    BTW, I did say from the beginning these questions are not going to be what some people want.

wow, I didn't know that people bought new table saws. I just thought that they showed up on craigslist when they were ready to be bought.

Quote Originally Posted by mreza Salav View Post
    The decision of buying a Grizzly is already implicitly saying you didn't want to buy a Sawstop. So at least in that regard it is reflecting the reality.
    BTW, I did say from the beginning these questions are not going to be what some people want.
    Actually, had the price been the same I would have bought the Saw Stop.

But since the Saw Stop was about three time the price, I could not afford one.

So it is a small point, but the reality is that however much some of us might like to buy something, there are other demands that prevent us from doing so.

So in the end, however much I might like to buy a SawStop table saw, the price point prevents me and others from doing so. Great safety feature by the way, who can argue that?

Anyway, in my case, anything that happened before this month matters little as I just took delivery of the new saw a couple days ago...

Not sure of the purpose of this thread, but perhaps a " I would have bought a Saw Stop if the price was competitive" question would have be meaningful...
    Too much to do...Not enough time...life is too short!

My first post here.

I just got my SS a week ago and love it.

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Davis View Post
    My first post here.

I just got my SS a week ago and love it.

Dan
    welcome, and congratulations! Have you done the hotdog test yet?

Sure, there are certainly other questions that could be added or should have been added (like one I had in mind but completely forgot was for those who bought a different brand of saw other than SS/Unisaw/Grizzly). There is only a limited number of options that can be given in a poll.

As I said, the purpose of this poll was only out of my own curiosity to see roughly what percentage (of a small group of people i.e. here on SMC and participating on this poll) have bought Grizzly, what percentage are buying SS or would have bought it if it was around at that time and what percentage are opting for a slider.
    I have seen a number of places the claim that SS is #1 selling tablesaw, and also that Grizzly sells a lot more saws than anyone else. Not that this proves anything but perhaps it is an indication of what's going on in the market.

I really doubt frequent forum visiting woodworkers are an indication of the "woodworking market". Many here are VERY informed. My average woodworking club members (I have about 87 members in my club at work) have never seen a sawstop in person (other than those who have toured my shop) and only a very very small percentage own a PM66 or unisaw or ANY cabinet saw. Most own contractor or jobsite saws, tons of craftsman contractor saws, and lots of saws from box stores. 90% of woodworkers are not going to forums.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Bienlein View Post
    My wife bought me my Ridgid TS3650 for christmas back in 2005. Never wanted anything more than that till SawStop came on the market. I make my living working in a cabinet shop and have access to sliders and cabinet saws and even a cnc but I wouldn't trade my Contractor saw for any of them. If I were to get a SawStop it would be the contractor as I could them mount it on the mobile base my Ridgid is mounted on.
    I can understand that maybe a contractors saw meets your needs and you can't justify a more expensive saw, but you actually wouldn't trade your TS3650 for a slider or a cabinet saw?! That seems incredible; explain.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Browning View Post
    Just curious, what are you going to use this information for? Do you have some specific motive, or is it just for you own curiosity and amusement?
    BTW I bought my saw in 2005 so I am not participating. Even though I still consider my saw new! Oh, wait, I can vote, so I did!
    Larry, your tag line "There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't." cracks me up!

-Alden

I bought a used 1980's Jet cabinet saw. It has served me well and would like to buy a saw stop, but most likely would but a Grizzly due to my budget. I'll probably end up keeping the Jet, but will need to replace the bearings sometime soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Heidrick View Post
    I really doubt frequent forum visiting woodworkers are an indication of the "woodworking market". Many here are VERY informed. My average woodworking club members (I have about 87 members in my club at work) have never seen a sawstop in person (other than those who have toured my shop) and only a very very small percentage own a PM66 or unisaw or ANY cabinet saw. Most own contractor or jobsite saws, tons of craftsman contractor saws, and lots of saws from box stores. 90% of woodworkers are not going to forums.
    You are right Mike that many woodworkers (and in particular many pro woodworkers) do not participate on forums and this sample is a very very small group of people.
    Honestly my targeted audience here was not those who have bought a craftsman contractor in 1970's or buy a $100 Ryobi job site saw at homedepot. It was mostly those who buy a
    serious (like a cabinet) saw at a tool store, AND in particular those who have bought in the past few years.

Thanks to all who participated in this poll.