Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is this spalted?

Is this spalted?

I cut up a maple tree a year and a half ago for firewood - before I was doing any turning.

There was a crotch peice with a foot of trunk that couldn't be split so I left it aside. Spotted it today and I wanted to see if the cracks went deep. Sliced a couple inches off and found this.

Is this what you call spalting? Is it typical in every maple?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Not only is it spalted, but in my humble opinion, it's fantastic spalting.... Jerry (in Tucson)

I would call it extreme spalting. Not worth a dime, send it to me right away......
    Regards, Ken

Become a Contributor at SMC and keep this great source of Knowledge and help from becoming only a memory.

We only wish that was "typical"! What you have there is extraordinary. I would beg you to get this wood cut up into blanks and sealed ASAP. If you are unsure how to get the best yield from it, just ask. There are many who would offer suggestions on how to process this wood. That is wood most turners dream about having. It is exceptional.
    David DeCristoforo

yup, sure looks spalted to me. It happens in maple, birch, aspen and a few other species when water, temperature and oxygen are right for the various fungi that cause the coloration and patterns. Flat saw an edge off that thing so you can see it better; not just looking at the end grain. I'd like to see another picture! Maybe even a rough turned or finish turned object! Looks like a beauty! Spalted maple with crotch plume/feather figure! Wow!

How to cut crotch wood for figure.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCR_lwQvsjk
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...ut-crotch-wood
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...urning-Dilemma
    http://www.forestryforum.com/board/i...?topic=17293.0

If there are going to be any problems with that wood, it would be that maybe it is too far gone to be easy to turn, as in really soft and punky. Nice score.

robo hippy

Well, to start with I have the 2" biscuit I sliced off before I new it was anything interesting.

Then I have the piece here that is 8" thick and 14" across. It is not round though.

What do you recommend for this piece? I'll get a pic of the rest of the crotch when I go back.

I really have no interest in hollow forms. I like small / medium bowls / platters, spindle work like small vases, and pens.

Side view.

Should I just cut two thick blanks for two sides and them two spindle blanks? Or 4 thinner?

Others can chime in with their ideas, but I suggest that you lay it on its side and cut it through the pith such that both pieces are fairly balanced with the pith as centered as possible. You can get 2 8" bowls, either one natural edged or not. Once you figure out what will be part of the bowl, you can cut some off the edges for spindles.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Masshardt View Post
    I really have no interest in hollow forms. I like small / medium bowls / platters, spindle work like small vases, and pens.
    Well, a lot of ladies like vases with a glass or plastic water tube (with a flower stuck in it...and some form of chocolate accompanying it). Spalted wood would be excellent for that. Also a twig pot, lidded box or a small bedside table lamp would show off the spalted wood nicely.

If you can mill the crotch piece so that the plume/feather figure shows up with the spalting, a bowl or platter would be ideal with the plume figure centered across the middle of the piece. If the spalting is rich enough, smaller objects like pens would probably show it off.

Maybe even just a lathed art sculpture, such as a sphere perched on a decoratively lathed, stemmed pedestal made of a contrasting colored wood like walnut. A nice spalted sphere would probably draw attention and start some conversation.

Have you sliced a flat piece of bark off the side yet so the spalted side grain can be seen?

You might consider cutting pie segments instead of just splitting down the center or cutting wide of the pith for a normal bowl and leaving the larger segment for 2 natural edge bowls. That would give you 3 bowls at least, and the natural edge will likely not hold the bark, but barkless is still a good look. 8" wide and 14" D should even give you enough surface for 4 NE if you went that way. Nice to have your problem with that piece of wood.

However you decide to cut it, I'd get it roughed out right away, before it gets too far along in the spalting process. Looks like it should be exceptional if not punky yet.

Dan
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome

Dan, wish you were closer...I'd help you cut it up.

Here are a couple ways you could cut it. The first will give you the best (most consistant) grain direction in the finished bowls, with a bunch of excess for pen blanks. The second will give you more bowls with little waste. Hope that helps.

BTW, the red dot is the pith. You want to cut that out. It will only cause cracks if you leave it in...

image-3217842256[1] - Copy.jpgimage-3217842256[1] - Copy (2).jpg
    I drink, therefore I am.

Thanks for taking the time to do that mike. Thats very helpful.