Thread: what Router size you all using

what Router size you all using

I was wondering if a 1hp Router is more than enough for making signs, what are your thoughts on this?

How big is your CNC? 1 HP is on the small size to run long runs. On bigger table the standard is the 7518 3.25 Porter Cable

Its all about speed in the cut vrs. the size of the router...... I've seen incredible work done with a dremal and great work done with a industrial spindle of 5 plus hp.
    Doing signs can mean 5x 7 wall stuff to 50 sq. feet outdoors for the park service. Move power usually means a faster cut. Impaortant if you are a commercial sign company....but if you are doing art work or signs for buddies.... then 1 hp is enough. I had a machine with a 1 hp and it did well. My spindle now from shop bot is only 1.5 and does great things.
    GARY ROBERTS
    ShopBot Desk Top
    Full Spectrum 60 Watt Pro

Ed, we need more info, what type of CNC do you have? Is this for hobby or full time production? Like Gary said, 1hp router is probably fine for small hobby work but definitely not for high production. I have a 4 hp Colombo spindle for routing aluminum and a HF-5.5 hp Colombo (32000 rpm) for routing acrylics, I run them 8 hrs a day 5-6 days a week, they go for years without issue. If you are doing high volume heavy production you need a spindle motor, they are expensive but that's what our business requires.
    Paul
    PS. We can help you better if you add your equipment type and location to your signature.
    Last edited by Paul Phillips; 02-22-2013 at 11:54 AM.
    Universal PLS 6.120D 75 watt
    MutiCam Apex CNC 4'x8' w 6 bit TC.
    EnrRoute 6 Pro 3d software.
    Vision 2550 Rotary Engraver.

I am a home hobbiest and currenly have a Torchmate 2x4, it has worked well and looking for a larger foot print..like..4x4. Build or buy...not sure. One manufacture has a model machine he only recommends a 1hp router.....or upgrade to the heavy duty gantry for larger routers. The heavy duty upgrade is about $1k. Maybe the upgrade will be worth, I don't plan on making large signs but I guess I could be prepared if opportunities come up.

2.2kw chinese spindle. Large routers or a larger spindle will get you 1/2" collett sizes.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Ed, as a home hobbiest, it sounds like you're on the right track to getting your feet wet with CNC machines. If you're just getting started with signs I would say get as much power as you can afford, maybe get the heavy gantry but start with 1.5-2 hp router and then upgrade to a spindle down the road if work warrants it.
    Looking forward to seeing some of your work.
    Good luck and have fun!
    Last edited by Paul Phillips; 02-26-2013 at 5:43 PM.
    Universal PLS 6.120D 75 watt
    MutiCam Apex CNC 4'x8' w 6 bit TC.
    EnrRoute 6 Pro 3d software.
    Vision 2550 Rotary Engraver.