Thread: Advise on buying a CNC router

Advise on buying a CNC router

I was looking into buying a CNC router for making small signs. I have been looking at CAMaster Stinger 2 or Computerized cutters Accu-cut KR. I'm open to others, but I was led to these companies by a friend and reading I've done here. The size I was looking for (due to budget) is 48" x 36" or 48" x 48" so I can fit plywood onto it. I was offered a used Gerber AR400 for $2k (48" x 27") but would need to buy software. Seems OK for a newbie and would save money up front but with what I've learned about it so far is I've heard you have to use Artpath for the software and import files to it for cutting. I have Corel Draw X5 I could use for some artwork but I think I would need something for 3D work. I can't find any information on this model due to its age so any input on this subject would help. I'm concerned that the money I save up front on this one might come back and haunt me later.

Look to shopbot or K2 perhaps building a unit from a kit...... lots of information available on the web. I'm a shopbot owner, so for what its worth. Look to forums to tell you about issues with the unit.....and weather the unit has issues of a certain nature like customer service or a part that does not perform well.
    GARY ROBERTS
    ShopBot Desk Top
    Full Spectrum 60 Watt Pro

I forgot to add that the Gerber AR400 is old enough they don't support it anymore so that might be why I can't find much information on it online.

I too went thru the router purchase process a few month back. My main criteria was, under $10k complete, 24" x 36" table, for light duty prototyping. I looked at several in that category ....
    hard to make a decision. I finally, by accident found a machine suitable for my needs; Chinese import, 25" x 18", water cooled spindle, complete turn-key for under $2500. There is a lot
    of controversy over on the CNCZONE FORUM about the particular CNC electronics package used on this machine, but I am an electronic system designer, so I gave it a shot. so far I have had no problems, except for the expected learning curve issues.

As for the Gerber machine, it has been my experience that there would be a lot of hidden costs .... worn out mechanism, ancient cnc controller technology, expensive software requirements, etc. A GOOGLE search for GERBER 400 brought up a number of articles about it. be sure and read all of them to guide you in your decision process.

Personally, I do most of my design work with Autocad, convert to DXF format, use Vectric CUT2d for toolpath and g-code generation. My router is run via an XP computer, parallel port running
    MACH3 software. The breakout board, stepper controllers, spindle speed controller are integral to the router controller package. As I said, no real issues so far with setup and initial testing.
    It is not industrial class machine by any means, but I am happy to work around any limitations.

I think the Camaster Stinger 2 is a great value for that type of machine. It was actually my 1st choice after much research, but went another direction after re-evaluating my needs.

I looked at Shopbot also, nice machine ( 4X4 Buddy ) Just out of reach price wise. Know about 20 guys in the Austin, Tx area ..... They love their Shopbots.

Building from a kit ? Not to bad if you have the time and a good mechanical apptitude . I spent 2 years building my own 24 X26, but needed to build other stuff, not a router, so I bought one.

Decisions, decisions, don't cha just love it.

Charles, I probably have the same type of machine as you do. I installed a larger spindle, it came with an 800W, which I replaced with a 1.5KW. I did this because I wanted more low speed tourque for milling aluminum. I also went with a G540 stepper controller from Geko. It has more I/O capability, four axis, and I think a smoother drive. I also installed an RS485 converter so that I could directly contol the VFD. This is much better than using the PWM signal.

The machine does a great job on milling PCB's which require very precise control. It also does great on wood, also aluminum and delrin.

Advice for buying a CNC Router

Quote Originally Posted by George Carlson View Post
    Charles, I probably have the same type of machine as you do.
    The machine does a great job on milling PCB's which require very precise control. It also does great on wood, also aluminum and delrin.
    Conroe, eh ? You aren't too far away.

Yes, I'm pretty much up on the things you mentioned. This machine is a stopgap measure to get some other projects out of the way. I will probably move up to the Camaster or ShopBot machine later on. This "little guy" will do just fine. It was just the right package at the right price.

Delrin has to be one of my favorite materials. Can't tell you how many pieces (always one of a kind) that I have made on my tiny Sherline mill. Bought it back in 1984 !!

Been cutting a lot of 1/2" HDPE sheet on my bigger manual mill. Building non-magnetic test fixtures.

You can never have too many tools.

By the way, here's the machine:
    6040Z+S80.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Newberry View Post
    I looked at Shopbot also, nice machine ( 4X4 Buddy ) Just out of reach price wise. Know about 20 guys in the Austin, Tx area ..... They love their Shopbots.

Building from a kit ? Not to bad if you have the time and a good mechanical apptitude . I spent 2 years building my own 24 X26, but needed to build other stuff, not a router, so I bought one.

Decisions, decisions, don't cha just love it.
    I'm with you about not having time to build a machine. Although I have good mechanical ability I would rather spend that time making things.
    Thanks everyone for the help so far.

I just built a kit...actually, mine was less than a kit. I gathered up components, bought a frame, and went to town. I've built a career doing software, automation and things like that, and building it myself was everything I knew it would be...a royal PITA, and believe me I know what I'm doing. I would never recommend anyone do it like this because if you don't know what you are doing it will take you months to get up and running.

You might want to call Carl Bruce and see what he'd be able to do for you. http://cncbuilder.net/

If you do a google search, you will find a post by "cncguitarz" on CNCZone talking about his Carl Bruce machine. I happen to know cncguitarz and he loves his machine. From the pictures I've seen it looks like he's setting people up with KFlops as a controller....that's the one I choose for my own machine and it's far and away better than Mach3. Anyhow, I would definitely call Carl and see what he can do. I hear he's very inexpensive, too.

Hey Charles - wow, the price sure is right for that machine! Was wondering if you'd be willing to share some of the things you've made with it so far? Just being nosy, but I love to see what people produce.

Anyway, after seeing the price for that, I went to their site and their biggest machine, with a 4th axis + shipping is $2147 - WOW!

I want to make small carvings and such for the tops of boxes that I make - also, for small signs and to decorate various other wood projects I am eventually going to get to.

Anyway - would love to see some of your work from that machine.

Best regards,
    Shooter

Check out www.probotix.com.

Len is an absolute genius and has the most affordable and comprehensive CNC router table in the world.
    Thanx,

shotgunn

-----------------

More is DEFINITELY more!!!

James,

I have no problems sharing my work, but the truth is things are hectic the past few weeks. Most of my efforts have been using different router bits to cut different
    materials, along with dealing with hold-down fixtures. In addition to that, I am working to get up to speed on the whole g-code thing. Some of the cam routines I use are producing some interesting g-code files. I am trying to write basic g-code routines to better understand how all that works. I'm finding that some of the code
    is bloated with extra steps that aren't required for my machine.
    This is similar to programs written in assembly language versus high-level compilers. Guess which one generates the smallest file ? I distress, that is a whole other forum topic.

I am not so much interested in 3d wood carving, rather i will use my machine to produce parts for other projects. Lots of sheet acrylics, blocks of Delrin and a HDPE.
    Being able to cut and engrave things like custom front panels will be nice too.

I will try to share a thing or two down the road.