Thread: After all these years of mortise and tenon

After all these years of mortise and tenon

I have been doing loose m&t lately (no domino...yet) and I finally get why....This is going to make me sound stupid but it dawned on me this morning dry fitting the TV stand I am building. With m&t I was always doing little adjust the fit. With loose m&t it's a 'cut to fit' like pocket screws. as long as the edges are square, it's like putting a puzzle together with little to no adjustment. Funny how after all these years something you took for granted 'dawns' on you.
    "The element of competition has never worried me, because from the start, I suppose I realized wood contains so much inspiration and beauty and rhythm that if used properly it would result in an individual and unique object." - James Krenov

What you do speaks so loud, I cannot hear what you say. -R. W. Emerson

If you can cut a good butt joint, you can make a strong inserted tenon joint. K.I.S.S.

Loose tenons are great for joints that come together at odd angles.

Just for information, what do you use to make your mortises?

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

there are some situations loose tenons cannot be used, those are almost the only times I use M&T; loose tenon joint is much easier (for me) to produce very precisely.

I use a stationary slot mortiser, a Steton. At my day job, we have a Felder slot mortiser and a Domino 500. The Domino gets used for smaller jobs,mostly, larger ones where it's easier to bring the tool to the work, and occasionally cabinet joints ( a shelf joined to a cabinet side for instance). We use it in a lot of situations where we might have used a biscuit joiner, but want better accuracy. The stationary mortiser has a wider range of tooling, deeper stroke, less vibration and no doubt a longer life before rebuild. Last week I used the Felder with a 1/8" spiral end mill for some tiny loose tenons, but it more often is used for full size door parts with up to a 3/4" bit. I haven't laid hands on the larger Domino, but I am sure it is a useful item. I do wonder about the long term accuracy of the oscillating mechanism and the plunge bushings in a heavy use scenario as compared to the Felder's roller bearings or the Steton's gibbed dovetail ways.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    Just for information, what do you use to make your mortises?

Mike
    Mike,

I use a PC plunge router w/ spiral bit and a shop made jig. I fashioned several 'standard' templates that I can screw on and off the jig. for anything extra I make one as needed, pretty quick to layout attach. I make the tenons on the router table with a round over bit and cut them to size on the TS (ala David Marks)

Keith
    Last edited by Keith Christopher; 02-24-2013 at 11:47 PM.
    "The element of competition has never worried me, because from the start, I suppose I realized wood contains so much inspiration and beauty and rhythm that if used properly it would result in an individual and unique object." - James Krenov

What you do speaks so loud, I cannot hear what you say. -R. W. Emerson