Thread: Baseboard Radiator Cover Design (question)

Baseboard Radiator Cover Design (question)

Hi -

I'm new to the forum and already have seen a lot of inspiring craft! I'm about to construct a cover for a wall-to-wall baseboard steam radiator in the playroom of my house. I suppose I'll divide the cover into 2 segments since it's about a 9 foot length.

My question: the radiator has an adjustable air vent at one end. The vent releases steam out of a small hole in the top. Do I need to have a cut-out in the shelf-piece (the top) of the cover for this small steam jet to dissipate? Or will the foil lining the inside of the cover deflect the steam enough to prevent damage to the finish.

I'm planning on painted poplar, with metal grille across the front. I don't want to have a softball-sized spot of paint damage on the surface above the vent, like the hood on my old Malibu.

Any advice is greatly appreciated! Thanks so much for such a great source of info and advice.

Jesse in Medford, Mass

Well, I don't know .I do know those steam powered Malibus are rare....Radiator covers need to be pretty open at top and bottom to be efficient ,seen a bunch that I thought looked good but were too restrictive . I think I would have the valve "breathing free "