Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New tool - how to fess up to LOML?

New tool - how to fess up to LOML?

Ok - the UPS tracking page shows that my latest purchase (a General Fence to replace the Craftsman fence I have tolerated for so long) is delivered. The LOML is about to arrive home and find it on the front porch. I haven't confessed to this purchase and since I can't get home until late tonight there is no hiding it.

Any suggestions?
    Last edited by Ken Salisbury; 05-06-2005 at 7:25 AM.

Dan, got any neighbors?? Friends that can go grab it?

If all else fails, call and leave a message and say you are expecting a package that is really important for you. Drama it out about how excited you are... she won't rain on your parade
    Jeff Sudmeier

"It's not the quality of the tool being used, it's the skills of the craftsman using the tool that really matter. Unfortunately, I don't have high quality in either"

Dan, it is easy, Thank her for the early Father's Day present suprise! To late for Christmas and the Easter Bunny would never do that!
    Last edited by Jerry Clark; 05-05-2005 at 3:48 PM.
    Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Oelke
    Ok - the UPS tracking page shows that my latest purchase (a General Fence to replace the Craftsman fence I have tolerated for so long) is delivered. The LOML is about to arrive home and find it on the front porch. I haven't confessed to this purchase and since I can't get home until late tonight there is no hiding it.

Any suggestions?
    You want one of us to start a thread about the inherent dangers of the craftsman fence? Then you could show it to her, and ask if a couple hundred bucks is not worth losing your hand over? Leave it for her to determine the value of a human hand.

You do know she is going to kill you don't you?
    Last edited by Ken Salisbury; 05-06-2005 at 7:26 AM.

Don't worry it is easier to get forgiveness than it is permission. You did the right thing. Just say "Oh yeah I forgot to tell you about that. By the way how was your day dear? I hear (insert her favorite clothing store here) is having a sale. Go check it out." I would draw the line at offering to wait while she tries stuff on though. Good luck!
    John
    I could cry for the time I've wasted, but thats a waste of time and tears.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Sudmeier
    Dan, got any neighbors?? Friends that can go grab it?
    Well there is a fellow creeker that lives just a couple of miles up the road.... however, I might not get it back.

I like the drama angle. A few sobs or tears on her part usually gets me to do whatever it is she wants, so maybe I'll try it.

Have it delivered to work next time? Tell her how much more safe your saw will be? Tell her about all the great things that you can make now? That you did it for her? That you are the man, and thats the way things are going to be around here from now on! (I havent used the last one yet, let me know how it goes)
    Scott

The only reason I set myself up in business installing kitchens, bathrooms and bedrooms was the fact that I could run amok with the tool catalogue with the response "I need it for the business dear".

She didn't clock the fact that I bought two Incra Jigs. Because I was impatient waiting Incra Jig Ultra Super System I bought the Incra Jig Ultra Lite as a stop gap
    Col

Dan - Mother's Day is Sunday. A very nice present for her should be in order! Maybe dinner out tonight.

Mike

Dan,

Tell her it's not yours. Tell her that you are receiving it for a friend because some wives are not so understanding and you're trying to help out. This ought to give you a Stay of Execution at least til you got out of range
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

The truth is always the best policy!

So just tell her you don't know how it got here???
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

Tell her your going to use it to build the dog house your going to sleep in for the next few weeks!!
    "Be true to your work, your word, and your friend." -Henry David Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Morton
    You want one of us to start a thread about the inherent dangers of the craftsman fence? Then you could show it to her, and ask if a couple hundred bucks is not worth losing your hand over? Leave it for her to determine the value of a human hand.
    Hey that is what I was going to suggest (and there is a lot of truth to it).

Say, "Dear, you didn't open that package that arrived today did you?" As long as the answer is no, say good...that's your 'insert occasion here' present. (Mother's Day is upon us). Then all you have to do is find a present that fits the box!!! Jim.

Dan....if she finds it first.....you won't have to 'fess up...she'll already know. Try a lot of groveling........whimpering......begging..."Please don't hit me again, Dear"......you are sunk!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....