Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What size clamps do you use most often?

What size clamps do you use most often?

I have been slowly acquiring my wood shop tools for the past several years. I have recently finished my wood shop and am now acquiring the tools to make raised panel doors and cabinets and desks, tv entertainment center, etc. Basically, I am building furniture for my house.

What length clamps should I tend to use the most on most projects? I know that is a very "it depends" answer to my question but there are so many different lengths and designs.

For constructing cabinets will I tend to use 36 and 50 inch clamps?

If I buy clamps that are too long, they will be unwieldy. However, if I buy clamps that are too short, they will be useless.

What size clamps do you tend to use the most often? And what kind of wood working do you do?

Sorry if this has been asked before but I'm not sure if I need long, medium or short. I know I need all of them, but which ones should come first?

You know all woodworkers will tell you "you can never have enough clamps".
    I think you should have a variety of clamps like "C" clamps or "F" clamps from 2",4" 6" 8" etc.I find myself using 12" f clamps most often followed by 24" and 36" .you also definitely need at least 4 pipe clamps.
    If you shop for f clamps ,look for the ratchet type which you the lower jaw stays where you leave it and doesn't fall to the bottom of the rail.
    K body clamps are excellent but expensive.
    Regards.
    Ken.

Unfortunately, the answer which you are looking for is elusive.

You need a LOT Of clamps of various sizes.

I use everything i have (admittedly nowhere near enough) when i am doing glueups. For thin stuff where you are just face or edge clamping i use Jorgenson Screw Clamps, and an asortment of "C" clamps which require protective blocking on both sides. All told about two dozen of them is probably sufficient--especuially when you are doing a curved glue up or bending wood along a form.

After that i have a series of bar clamps ranging from 12" up to 50". I have two of each in 12, 24, 30 and 50 inches. Maybe six of each would be a good inventory.

I also have a couple of old pipe clamps. The longest opens to about six feet. I rarely use them.

I guess i use the smaller ones more often for gluing up and holding lots of small parts while fitting and screwing them into place than i do the others. However, when you need 'length', you got to have it. You said you were looking to do furniture/cabinets, and that requiers a LOT of long clamps in my experience. My numbers would bne minimums based on my ex[periecne. The best advice i can give you is that i don't have anywhere near enough, and each time i do a major project which requires clamping i buy a couple more. They (the goods ones) aren't cheap!

For cabinet making, which is my principal endeavor, I use the Bessey K bodies. I have a dozen at 36" and a 1/2 dozen in the 42" range. I also have a pair of 12" and 2 pairs of 24". If I were to get more of these I would pick up a few more pairs each of the 12" and 24". Working with the 36" when I only need 24" is no big deal however as they are light enough even in the bigger sizes. These are the clamps I use 90% of the time in cabinet making and gluing up panels. I also use a variety of lengths of the Jorgenson steel bar clamps mostly in the 12" and 18" range and some quick clamps that Irwin and others makes. These are very useful though I would like to have some with much deeper throats.

I also have a dozen deeper and much heavier 4' iron Weltzer clamps and a 1/2 dozen of these at 18", plus an extensive collection of some longer Jorgenson I bar clamps, heavy strap/ratchet clamps and c-clamps of many sizes and some 100" x 3/4" pipe clamps. All very useful when you need them but by no means every day clamps for cabinetmaking.

As others have written and more will write - you can never have enough clamps. The K body Besseys though are a good style to start with for cabinetmaking IMHO and experience and of those I believe you would get the best use out of those in the 36" size with a few closer to 50" when you can afford them. As I wrote - these clamps are light enough that using a longer clamp when you only need a short clamp is not much of a compromise - but can be useless in the other direction.
    Last edited by Sam Murdoch; 02-24-2013 at 5:23 PM.
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

I use 12" and 24" the most. But it depends on what you're building. If you specialize in larger pieces, you'll need more long clamps.

I can tell which ones are used the most because those handles are the dirtiest and caked with glue

Mike
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 02-24-2013 at 5:43 PM.
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

24" clamps.

I'm about to try on some of the 12" klik" style F clamps sold by LV.
    Alan Little of Askwoodman.com uses the heavier welder's versions and they appear versatile.

I'm forever running into difficulty setting up the Big Bessey clamps (with twist handles) during glue ups.
    The pawls don't readily engage when the clamp opening faces down - and I need both hands to hold the clamps up.

Lacking a third hand is a damn nuisance, in this case.

I use 6" Irwin Quick-Grip clamps more than any other; just hundreds of uses. For cabinet glue-ups Bessey K-Body are really nice; the 24" ones I have are always an inch too short - I would buy 31" the next time instead, and the 50" ones are really heavy but good to have. I also have quite a few 3/4" pipe clamps. Both ends of the pipes are threaded, so I can easily lengthen them by adding a coupler to join two together. That feature has come in really handy a couple of times when I had some really long stuff to clamp up. I also have a few wooden hand clamps. It is surprising how many uses they have, especially when needing to clamp something at shallow angle.

My advise is to avoid cheap clamps. Better to buy a few high quality ones at a time.

John

I buy pony clamps, the 1/2" kind. I use them on black pipe which comes in 10' lengths. I usually do 2 kinds of cuts on the 10' pipes. Either I cut it in half for my long clamps or I cut them 42, 42, 36 for my shorter clamps. The 42s get me about 38" between the jaws, they are my goto clamps.

24" and 36". Of course, the 36" will usually work for both, just more unwieldly. Got a bunch of 48's, but rarely use them.

Rick Potter

EDIT: I forgot. Like John, I am always using those 6" quick clamps for something. The regular ones, not the light weight mini.
    Last edited by Rick Potter; 02-24-2013 at 7:38 PM.

40" for glueups

24" and 36" mostly in parallels and alum bars for attaching face frames to carcases.

Always grabbing the tradesman besseys for various work. Also use my share of spring clamps.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

I have around 48 Bessey Kbody clamps and they are what I use the most. I have 10 of the 12" and 8 of the 24". I use them the most and if I buy more it will be another 4 of the 12" and another 4 of the 24".

As John mentions above, I use a coupler on my pipe clamps if I need extra-long clamps. I also have a bunch of the 31" Bessey Revo's. There is a K-body extender (that I don't have yet) that does the same thing for the Bessey parallel clamps as a pipe coupler. So, the takeaway is that you don't necessarily have to have to buy those extra-long clamps for those few big projects.

10" handscrews and 42'' pipe clamps are used the most in my shop. I grab the smallest clamp I have that will get the job done. I do have some 1" and 2'' C-clamps that get used a lot on jigs and fixtures.

The sizes in the Jet parallel clamp set I think 40 and 24 work very well for most work. I bought 2 k-body extenders and then drilled out the holes in a set of each size to use the extenders with the provided bolts. (I could have just bought smaller bolts but you know...)
    -Brian

I have clamp sizes from 6" to 48

By far I use the parallel jaw 24" clamps the most, then I use the 12" "F" style bar clamps

Harbor freight now sells a clone of the festool/bessey mechanical gear type clamps for a reasonable price.