Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Value of 1998 Unisaw Never Used

Apparently I thought this one was worth $1000. However, I didn't have to go far to get it.

http://i773.photobucket.com/albums/y...ps36cfb691.jpg
    Last edited by Brian Brightwell; 02-25-2013 at 9:36 AM.

FWIW, 3 years ago I bought an essentially unused circa 2000 52" 3 hp Unisaw Platinum Edition with Biesemeyer fence and mobile base for $1200. There were a few buyers lined up behind me at that price.

After I bought it I did spend ~$200 outfitting it with the Biese splitter and a Sharkguard. The Biese splitter is a necessity for that saw, in my opinion.
    Last edited by Will Rowland; 02-25-2013 at 9:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Barnhill View Post
    It would probably bring 1400 here in E TX, if it's in top shape. General used ones sell in the 1k -1.2k all the time.

i don't understand the folks who think the value should be based on the original selling price, instead of today's market value. $1400 worth in 1998 would take $1950+ today to buy.
    I agree and still they say inflation is not a problem?

The reality is that it is worth what someone is willing to pay for it. If they are looking at buying it and keeping it for 20+ years, then it doesn't really matter what it costs, within reason. If on the other hand they think they may get out of it in a shorter period, then they will seek to pay less than what they think they can sell it for. If there are no other buyers, they will likely succeed.

I paid 3 grand for my saw, but I'm not looking to sell it any time soon. On the other hand, I bought a planer for $250 and sold it for $300 a couple weeks later.

Not to detract from the OP but for those of you who believe the prices of used tools should be based on today's market value, can you please explain why and at what percentage of today's market value? Keep in mind I'm referring to the tools that are a dime a dozen, not some one-off collector's item. I'm struggling to see the logic in this argument. For example, let's say I had a 2003 F-150 truck to sale. Using the same argument, I would price the truck based on the market value, with some reduction in price for being used, of a 2013 F-150 because that's what it would cost someone in the market for a new truck. To me, that's counter-intuitive. Help me understand the reasoning. I'll be selling a 8" jointer in the next few weeks and I would be tickled pink if I was able to recoup a majority of my investment.

Blog Entries
    Prices on large tools have gone up so much that you can, in some cases, get more than you paid fo them just a few years ago. I paid around $700.00 for a JET 1442vs lathe back in 2006. I recently sold it for $900.00. That same lathe now sells for aorund $1400.00, twice what I paid for it only7 years ago. (BTW, my 2004 cummins diesel truck is worth what I paid for it in 05)

I also have to say, check out Grizzly. You ca get a 5hp saw for under $1500.00 bucks. I have one of their 18" bandsaws and I love it. It has way more features than many BS's at twice the price and it's very well built.
    Last edited by Bill Wyko; 02-25-2013 at 11:55 AM.
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

"worth what someone will pay for it..." is the silliest thing I've ever heard of and it was brought up in another thread regarding a stationary ww tool's price.

It's worth what it's worth, accounting for differences in region, that region's economy, supply and demand, etc.

These days, I've found you've got to sit on items on CL for weeks and sometimes months to "find" the buyer willing to pay what an item is worth. But I sell everything I list, and I price them at their worth as I see it. Just because some low-rent offers me $250 for a $500 toolbox doesn't mean that's what it's worth, it just means that's all it's worth to him.

In my area, it'd probably bring $1000-1350, but the main variable is how long you'll have it listed. Seller's motivation dictates that amount of time.

As to value based on original price or current retail, above poster is correct - prices have increased so much that using original retail is pointless. Take the instance of my Delta X5 6" Jointer. Years ago, I paid about $475 for it maybe. These days, they run close to $1000.00. Used in great condition, I can sell it (and have sold another I've had) at between $440-500.

Buyers decide to buy used or older because they are referencing what the items will cost them today if bought new. Nobody looking at buying a new drill press considers what they sold for in 1997, they simply see what it'd cost them to buy today.

You factor in the fact that most items were made better in years past (Grizzly excluded) and the buying of older equipment seems a better value all around.

Equating ww equipment with used vs. new cars is silly too.
    Used cars have their own worth frame of reference that is closer to real estate in how those values are determined and how they fluctuate. (supply/demand/incentives/clunker program, etc....)

JT

The '03 truck is worth a residual value, as long as it runs, that is a bit higher than the scrap value. That is because the useful life of it has been worked out. For every 15-year old F-150 you see on the roads, another 10 have gone to the scrapper. As long as it runs though, it will make a basic workhorse for the next few years. Replacement engines, transmissions, significant body parts etc will eventually make repair uneconomic, until the point that say a 30-yr old survivor then acquires rarity value.

For a jointer, what's to wear out? Bearings and blades. Maybe a switch every couple of decades. A 1960s Powermatic 60 will be worth more than it cost new. BUT, if you want the improvements on the 60B and the 60C, you will have to pay for them. Again, they are worth what people are willing to pay, and that is the bottom line.

No offense to members here, I'm one of them. But to ask members of ww forums what any given ww item is worth is gonna result in some low-ball offers or estimates.

We love deals here more than the average buyer. Most buyers on CL are not as in-tune to the kind of deals that folks here are.

I don't buy anything unless it's a great deal, but everything I sell is only a good deal.

JT

Julian - I think you have reinforced my point. If you can sell a widget for X, then that it what that widget is worth. If you think a widget is worth X and won't take less, then it is not worth X until/if it sells. At which point, you have proved that it is worth X, because someone has been willing to buy it for that.

Of course if you want to get out of an item quickly, you can sell it for less than what you think it is worth, but that's the seller's prerogative. Ultimately, the buyer sets the price. Numerous companies have failed to learn this lesson over the years.

S.E. Tennessee ... just a bit North of Chattanooga
    I looked at this guy's Craigslist Ad ... VERY high pricing, and especially without any photos to make the slightest determination of his claims that everything is either new or perfect condition.

Well I am just getting around to viewing this post I started. I have fought the flu for the last week. I don't wish that on my worst enemey.

I guess what I see here are answers that are all over the board. My original intention wasn't to create any tensions. I was was just trying to get some input on what some of us thought this was worth. I see that we all have our opinions on what value and quality of tool makers. I personally will not purchase a Grizzly tool. I only have one Grizzly tool in my shop. That is a dust collector that was given to me. I think some of my opinion comes from years ago. I just simply didn't think they produced a quaility product, ease of use, etc. That is strictly my opinion. There has been some good points that were posted here. I guess I fall into the loyal Delta catagory. I have even though of a Olver. Thanks for your input and different view points.

My rule is that something I want to buy, is worth only what I am willing to pay for it.

That rule has served me for 40 plus years.

What does a new Sawstop cost?

The first finger you keep covers the price differential.
    Have you considered the much cheaper tracksaw alternatives?

It's nice to put the track up on a rack instead of working around the large casting...

I have no brand loyalty. I have Powermatic, Delta, Jet, Grizzly, and even Wadkin in my shop. I just ordered some replacement parts for my 12 year old Grizzly metal lathe and had them in two days at very reasonable prices. Most of my stuff is what is known as "Old Arn" and I am active on the OWWM site, but if I were buying new, I would have to look at Grizzly. If someone asked my if they should buy ad 15 year old Grizzly tool, my answer would be to check it over very closely, but today, they are building quality tools and have the best service in the industry. Delta ( and I have many Delta machines) is riding on its name. It is owned by a Chinese company and the quality just is not there and after being sold several times the parts inventory has dried up.

CPeter