Thread: *prevent* pitch buildup

*prevent* pitch buildup

Is there any way to prevent the build up of pitch/resin on a cutting tool? I've seen plenty of advise and methods for removal after the work is done, but what about during? I just completed a set of slots made with a 1/2" end mill. The end mill was building up a pretty good coating of pitch on it. I had to stop and clean it off before finishing.

Is there anything to use on a cutting tool that would prevent or at least slow down the build up of pitch?

I've used Bostik Dri Cote with some success on table saw and band saw blades. Never tried it on a router or milling bit though. It was relatively expensive, and when I run out of it, I doubt that I would buy it again.
    Dick Mahany.

thanks. I can try that, if the cost isn't "over the moon."

I've used the Bostik on twist drills. Really helped clear the chips & avoid overheating on some deep bores. Only caveat is it has a distinctly unpleasant STINK (like burning rubber) until it dries. I'd avoid applying it indoors unless you've got an exhaust fan or vent hood.
    - Tom

Try some "Pam" nonstick spray. I tried it on my bandsaw blade and it worked for me.