Thread: ZAR manufacture date codes? Is ZAR in general a decent stain?

ZAR manufacture date codes? Is ZAR in general a decent stain?

Anyone know how to decipher ZAR manufacture date codes? I perused their website, didn't find anything.

Why do I ask? Local hardware store has quarts of ZAR oil based stains for $4.00. Looks to me like they're trying to clear out some old stock. One can had "7E09" inked on the bottom. Which could mean July 5th, 2009 or May 7th, 2009 or May 9th, 2007... well you get the idea.

I'm just wondering if I should snag a few cans for future staining needs. Store has a wide selection of colors.

Thanks.

I don't know their coding.

Unopened cans should be fine. They will need to be VERY WELL mixed. I have always liked their stains.

I'll bet you can buy them "all" for $1 or 2 per can... Go for it.
    Scott

Finishing is an 'Art & a Science'. Actually, it is a process. You must understand the properties and tendencies of the finish you are using. You must know the proper steps and techniques, then you must execute them properly.

Thanks Scott, I was thinking the same thing; that unopened cans should be fine. I was just curious on the codes and how good ZAR stains are in general, I've never used them. The store is one of the old time hardware stores that I love to shop at, so I'm comfortable paying full price, $4 per quart.