Thread: Designing sliding doors

Designing sliding doors

Have to make a pair of sliding doors for a closet and was wondering if where the 2 stiles overlap in the centre, are they made different widths to compensate for the visual loss of width when looking at them closed?
    In other words, if the front door overlaps the rear door by 1 inch do you make the rear door stile an inch wider so the doors look the same?
    Or, another thought, make both styles the same size but overlap them by the width of the stile. Though this could be 5-6 inches.
    Thanks in advance for any and all replies.
    Last edited by Brian Penning; 02-26-2013 at 6:06 AM. Reason: another thought

New England, in a town on the way to nowhere
    Hiding the overlap with a wider stile is a good idea if the doors only slide in one direction, but they rarely do. If you made them the same size, keep them sliding close to each other, and just slightly overlap- 1/8" to 1/4"- you probably won't notice a difference in the viewing width if the stiles.

I usually make the stiles the same size, to do otherwise may look funny? I don;t let them overlap by an inch though, usually more like 1/2" or so and it looks fine. And that's on doors with narrow 3-1/2" stiles.

good luck,
    JeffD

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Penning View Post
    Or, another thought, make both styles the same size but overlap them by the width of the stile. Though this could be 5-6 inches.
    I think this is the way to go. Looks best!

You would lose 5" of open space that way.

1/2" overlap for me.