Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which Miter Saw Should I Get? Bosch GCM12SD or Dewalt DWS780

Which Miter Saw Should I Get? Bosch GCM12SD or Dewalt DWS780

Hi Guys,

I'm sure this has been touched upon many times but a quick search didn't come up with what I wanted.

I am thinking about getting a refurbished Bosch GCM12SD for just under $650 or Dewalt DWS780 for just under $490. This saw will be mounted in my shop and not moved too often.

Bosch GCM12SD negatives:
    Cut capacity on right of blade (although I don't do much crown molding)
    Cost $160 more then the Dewalt

Positives:
    Much less deep (can be placed up against a wall)
    Bevel lock in front

Dewalt DWS780 negatives:
    Much deeper (the slide part)
    Bevel lock is in back of the saw

Positives:
    Price
    Bigger cut capacity for crown molding

Let me know what your opinions are. Thanks.

Not to be a spoiled sport, but I'd get the Kapex for more money.

In general I don't buy Dewalt, although I do own a router.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Foster View Post
    Not to be a spoiled sport, but I'd get the Kapex for more money.
    I wish I could but the wife would kill me for that one!

Is the bench you are installing it in already built? If so is there enough room for the dewalt? If so you space concerns go away. If not built yet and space is key build for the Bosch and go that way.

Matthew,

No experience with the Dewalt, but I have the Bosch and love it. The axial glide system is a real space saver since I can put the whole thing back almost to the wall. The up-front controls are really great. When I got mine out of the box and got it mounted and put the square to it everything was already adjusted correctly. It even had a flip-down lock to lock off the glide if you want to just use it like a non-sliding miter saw. It seems to reduce the minute amount of slop you get from having the moving parts in the glide. My two complaints would be 1) no laser guide (it is available as an add-on) and 2) dust collection leaves something to be desired.

Under negatives you list cut capacity "on right of blade." I have no idea what you mean by that. My only capacity limitation to the right or the left is how far I place the saw from an obstacle, like the wall. That, and making sure I have support under the work for safety's sake. Right now I have it mounted on the T4B Gravity-Rise Wheeled Miter Saw Stand which is handy if I need to move it to make more room to one side of the other for longer stock.

The Bosch is also about 20 lbs. heavier. This can be a plus or minus depending. I don't carry my saw on and off job sites so I like the extra weight for stability.
    "Live like no one else, so later, you can LIVE LIKE NO ONE ELSE!"
    - Dave Ramsey

No the bench is not built yet and space is a concern but not that high on the concern list. I have seen stats that the Dewalt is something like 42" deep which would be a crazy deep work bench. If I could build the bench at 36" or a little less that worry would go away. I also don't want the miter arm to stick out too much into the work space. I would not want to hit it all the time.

Also, I just read that some people are having problems with the slide bearings on the Dewalt which is giving me pause as well.

Makita? The LS1016 has greater cutting depth at 45/45 than the Bosch or Dewalt and does it with a much cheaper & plentiful 10" blade. It's also the lightest of the bunch--a big factor if you actually do need to carry or move it. It's also very compact. I store mine inside a 24" base cabinet.
    Last edited by Mark Burnette; 02-26-2013 at 1:27 PM.

Charles, Thanks for the opinions I appreciate that. I think I am leaning toward the Bosch I was just hoping that someone would talk me out of it LOL.

When I was talking about cut capacity on the right of the blade I was referring to the fact that moldings placed on the fence can only be 4.5" tall when placed on the right side of the blade. It can cut up to 6.5" if cut from the left side. This is all stuff that I have read from reviews on amazon and other sites.

Thanks again.

I purchased the 12" DeWalt in 2001 when I was building decks. I still have it and use it most every day. Great saw, in my opinion. If I were to replace it now I would get a 10" saw. Not sure which brand. DeWalt does require a very deep bench and this complicates dust collection.
    No PHD, but I have a DD 214

I have 2 Dewalt DWS780s. I have had them over a year. I have been very happy with them. They are both very accurate, dust collection is very close to the Festool Kapex that I also own. I really like the white LED light for the blade instead of a laser. I have no complaints at all with them.

Thanks for all the feed back.

I pulled the trigger on the Bosch GCM12SD. I can't wait to get it and build my miter saw station.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Burnette View Post
    Makita? The LS1016 has greater cutting depth at 45/45 than the Bosch or Dewalt and does it with a much cheaper & plentiful 10" blade. It's also the lightest of the bunch--a big factor if you actually do need to carry or move it. It's also very compact. I store mine inside a 24" base cabinet.
    +1, Makita makes a great saw.

I too have the Bosch and could not be happier. This is the forth miter saw I have owned and it is certainly the most accurate. Long angled cuts (>10") that I used to perform on a table saw miter sled are now done accurately on the miter saw with very little to no splintering. I built a dedicated air shroud around the saw and connected a 6" dust collection line. No problem with dust control.

I bought mine at a woodworking show a coupla years ago. The Freud rep had purchased one and put one of their 96 tooth blades on it to demo. He brought a piece of stock back to the Bosch booth to show them the cut. It was a deep compound miter and the cut surface felt ready for finish.
    "Live like no one else, so later, you can LIVE LIKE NO ONE ELSE!"
    - Dave Ramsey