Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vintage Lathe questions

Vintage Lathe questions

I really wasn't looking for a lathe as I never had the yearning to do any turning. However, I do like old machines and when I walked into a consignment store the other day I found a vintage lathe. It caught my eye. Also, I know my wife likes wooden bowls and plates. So, the combination of what my wife would like and my inclination to buy vintage woodworking machines has finally got me thinking about a lathe.

They didn't know much about the lathe at the store. The tag says Homecraft Delta/Rockwell, Ser. #AC7117. I did some research and I think it's a 46-230, somewhere between 1950-52. That would make it 36" between centers and 11" swing. It's on a fairly solid shop made stand.

I'm going back to the store today now that I know more. I'll take some measurements and see if I can figure out for sure which model it is.

What else should I be looking for? I know nothing about lathes and could use some suggestions. I'll also take some pictures to see if anyone here can help with the identification.

Thanks,

John
    John Bailey
    Sawmill Creek is a member supported forum. Click here to donate.

1) Spin the spindle to check the bearings (they very well may need to be replaced) 2) Make sure the banjo is included (the part that you stick the tool rest(s) into...it is the part that you "rest you lathe tool" on and it slides up and down the lathe bed for wherever you want to be turning on the wood) 3) Make sure the tailstock is included (another part that slides up and down the bed that acts as a way of holding the "other" end of the wood...mainly for spindles). Without 2 and 3, you'll only be finding yourself searching for parts.

The last thing you should know (well, not the last thing, but the last thing I'll mention) is that purchasing this lathe is the CHEAPEST part of turning. You'll need tools, a chuck (or 6 if you are me), faceplates, etc, etc, etc. BTW, welcome to our addiction!
    I drink, therefore I am.

That sounds like my lathe! Mine doesn't say home craft on it though.

I'm happy with just about everything about it except step pulleys to change speeds.

As mike said, if it doesn't have the basic accessories it will cost you a lot of time and money on eBay.

And lot of money anyway in other stuff.

EParts has a diagram of the lathe http://www.ereplacementparts.com/del...659_12776.html
    If it is all there, for me it would be a keeper. The old "junk" iron is what I like to use, some may complain it doesn't have a slow enough speed for off balanced pieces of wood. That is easy to answer, I was using this "junk" way before all of the fancy slow speed lathes were ever manufactured, I did it then and I can do it now.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cruz View Post
    1) Spin the spindle to check the bearings (they very well may need to be replaced) 2) Make sure the banjo is included (the part that you stick the tool rest(s) into...it is the part that you "rest you lathe tool" on and it slides up and down the lathe bed for wherever you want to be turning on the wood) 3) Make sure the tailstock is included (another part that slides up and down the bed that acts as a way of holding the "other" end of the wood...mainly for spindles). Without 2 and 3, you'll only be finding yourself searching for parts.

The last thing you should know (well, not the last thing, but the last thing I'll mention) is that purchasing this lathe is the CHEAPEST part of turning. You'll need tools, a chuck (or 6 if you are me), faceplates, etc, etc, etc. BTW, welcome to our addiction!
    The guy in the store mentioned the banjo so I ask him what they were. There are two. There are two supports and the larger one uses two banjos. The tailstock is there with some very nice old cast turning wheels for adjustment. There were two discs, about 6". One was on the inside of the spindle and one was on the outside on the other side of the belts. In addition, there were two large discs with a number of holes, some with screws through them.

By the way, it looks like this without the original stand.

I didn't notice any other tools but I'll check when I'm there today. They have a lot of old hand tools there. I think I've seen turning tools in the past. If they have some, what would indicate good quality turning tools. Are there any brand names I should look for.

Thanks
    John Bailey

John, I have one one of those lathes also, but it's labeled Delta Milwaukee Homecraft and it's a 12".. The head and tailstock are aluminum. The bearings are 2 piece tapered roller bearings. The headstock has an oil reservior? and felt seals. IMO, the felt seals is the worst feature as oil is constantly oozing out from the spindle caps. That's an easy fix as regular seals are readily availible from any bearing house. The tailstock also has an offset turning feature on it which might come in handy if you are to do those types of turnings. If it hasn't been abused, and it doesn't cost over 3 hundred dollars, you're gonna like it.......... Jerry (in Tucson)
    Last edited by Jerry Marcantel; 02-27-2013 at 10:14 PM. Reason: early morning spelling

John, I had a lathe just like that as my first. I rebuilt the shelves, added a 1 hp motor, and cleaned it all up. Even then, I had a hard time selling it for $275, but finally did. So, depending on the motor, etc, I would say don't pay over $250 for it.

Tools? Wow, you are opening a can of worms here. To start out with, you should find some HSS tools in a set. You might never use some/most of them, but it will give you an idea of what you would like to get "GOOD QUALITY" individual tools in later. Start by going to PSI (you could go to Harbor Freight, but I try to avoid them whenever possible) and get a set. If you want to go straight into the good quality tools, you can't go wrong with Thompson or D-Way. For bowls on that lathe, I would suggest: 1/2 bowl gouge, parting tool, skew, and a round nose scraper. A spindle roughing gouge would't hurt, either...
    I drink, therefore I am.

John, it looks like could be a good piece of "old arn". Good sized lathe if it is all there and runs smoothly. Are you going to let us know what they are asking, price wise, for it? And what, if any, tools might go along with it?
    Tim.
    Seven days without turning makes one weak.

John,

You also should find out the spindle diameter, and thread pitch. Some of the old tools have a non currently standard size spindle and it makes it hard to find spindle accessories like chucks.
    Brian

Sawdust Formation Engineer
    in charge of Blade Dulling

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Leiter View Post
    John, it looks like could be a good piece of "old arn". Good sized lathe if it is all there and runs smoothly. Are you going to let us know what they are asking, price wise, for it? And what, if any, tools might go along with it?
    Tim.
    Just visited the store, took some measurements and basically kicked the tires.

if I'm measuring correctly, the center to the bed is 5 1/2" which makes it an 11" swing. From center to center is 36". According to what I've found out it either a 1950 or 1952 model. It has a newer 3/4 hp Dayton motor. It has a 12" rest and a 24" rest with two banjos. If you look at the picture you'll see two disks, one 12" and one 18" -- not sure what they're for.

Asking price is $450 for everything or $325 without the extra banjo and 24" rest. In my research I've only run across one of these that have sold over $200. That one was refurbished and had the original motor and stands.

Im not sure I'm interested because of the lack of cast legs or original motor. I'll have to check around to see if I can find a set of legs for it. I've got one of those old Delta motors, but I'm not sure of the hp or rpm. For now, the price is not in the ball park.

John
    John Bailey

John those are good lathes, they beat the pants of any new fangled chinese stuff you find nowadays, that lathe has been good for 50 years already, and will be still good when all this new chinese stuff is used for boat anchors .

As for the too high low speed, this lathe comes with, that is easy to change, some of these lathes were used to machine both wood and metal, and then came with a jack-shaft to get lower and more speed options.

A two speed pulley on the motor and the jackshaft would already give you the option of halving the speeds it has now, here are two pictures that show you how this is/was done, all I would do is have the jackshaft on a hinged plate so you can very easily change speeds, though it isn't necessary, you can move the belts as is.

Oh I would try for $150.-- - $200.--, they do get sold for less than that, though any new lathe will cost you a lot more than this

Delta Miwaukee 1460 or 46-307 12".jpg Delta 16 speed lathe with jack shaft.jpg
    Have fun and take care

Based on the holes in the outside plate and the bolts on the disks, i would think maybe he was using them for sanding/buffing wheels. While old machines are nice, old chisels not so much. There has been quite a revolution in tool steel in the last few years and not many would even think of going back to carbon steel turning tools. Even the neander group are looking at powder metal Vanadium steel for their blades.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

you will want one with at least a 1'-8 threads per in. on the spindle. that more than likely has a 3/4-16 spindle which makes for it harder to find chucks and f/plates etc
    ron

Yep, that's the same one I have, though mine is three years newer (that one is 1952). Mine is also the one you have a picture of above. The spindle is a standard 1-8. It looks to be missing the clamp for the tailstock quill, which I would think is a necessary item and the lathe would be pretty useless if the quill could move into the tailstock while you're turning.

Also - that's way to high a price. $200 is about the most I would pay, even with the accessories. $450 is crazy auction site territory. Cast iron legs actually bring more than the lathe since design folks like them for furniture.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Coleman View Post
    Yep, that's the same one I have, though mine is three years newer (that one is 1952). Mine is also the one you have a picture of above. The spindle is a standard 1-8. It looks to be missing the clamp for the tailstock quill, which I would think is a necessary item and the lathe would be pretty useless if the quill could move into the tailstock while you're turning.

Also - that's way to high a price. $200 is about the most I would pay, even with the accessories. $450 is crazy auction site territory. Cast iron legs actually bring more than the lathe since design folks like them for furniture.
    Nice piece of machinery you've got there Bob. Did you do the restoration? How does it work for you?
    John Bailey