Thread: Anyone see the winning jig in the Highland Hardware contest?

Anyone see the winning jig in the Highland Hardware contest?

Highland Hardware recently held a jig contest. The winners were announced today and the 1st place winner was apparently the only entrant related to working with hand tools. It is a pretty slick sliding deadman that uses two toggle clamps...one to clamp the free end of the board and the second to force the jig against the underside of the workbench. The jig actually uses the bench's dog holes, only from the bottom side and not the top.

I am still building my bench and had not decided what to do yet as far as a sliding deadman...especially since I am building a Holtzappfel-ish one. This jig appears to be a very viable option for me.

lcombs

Is kind of interesting. I thought about doing a free standing one. Then went with a sliding deadman instead.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Good, Better, Best never let it rest
    until your Good is Better and your Better is Best

Member of M-WTCA Area D

I actually saved the pics from that today! Looks like a great option for a removable sliding deadman. I will definitely be making one similar to it in the future.

Blog Entries
    Here is a link to the winner:

http://blog.woodworkingtooltips.com/...ners-revealed/

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 02-28-2013 at 11:43 AM.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Neat! Seems like a really nice way to quickly incorporate a sliding deadman's functionality if you've already got a bench with an overhang.
    " Be willing to make mistakes in your basements, garages, apartments and palaces. I have made many. Your first attempts may be poor. They will not be futile. " - M.S. Bickford, Mouldings In Practice

I have thought about doing the T-track and clamp thing on a traditional sliding deadman... if I ever get around to building a bench.
    "Live like no one else, so later, you can LIVE LIKE NO ONE ELSE!"
    - Dave Ramsey