Thread: Wipe on finish question

Wipe on finish question

This is the first time I have "wiped on" a finish. I have always brushed on my finish. I have a couple of questions that I hope you will be able to answer for me.

I am doing two small items. The first is the top of a pirate's chest that I remade after I built the pirate's chest and was unhappy with the top. The top is domed so there is no flat surface so brushing on poly would be a problem. The second item is a door from a night stand that got "dinged" when it was moved. Both the chest and night stand were orginally finished with poly so I am using poly so they will hopefully match up.

I am using a 50/50 blend of poly (gloss) and mineral spirts and waiting about an hour between coats. So here are my questions.

1. Can I apply more than three coats a day without screwing things up?

2. If something happens and I can't apply a coat within 90 min to 2 hours must I stop and wait until the next day and then sand before applying additional coats?

Thank you in advance for any help you can give.

Don

S.E. Tennessee ... just a bit North of Chattanooga
    There is no specific time interval for applying follow up coats of finish ... if the last coat is dry enough ... go ahead ... I tend to use VM&P Naptha to thin my finishes, and it seems to give me the ability to lessen the time between coats. A lot has to do with your conditions ... temp / humidity / solvent / solvent ratio / quantity of finish applied. Some folks like to wipe the finish on very thin and let it build more slowly down deep ... other use the David Marks technique ... slop it on heavy & wet ... then, almost immediately wipe it back. This, I believe fills the pores better and builds a little more quickly, but wastes a good bit of finish.

If I have to wait more than about 12-14 hours between coats, I give it a very light wipe with some extra five sandpaper ... it removes dust nibs ... levels out some imperfections ... creates light scratches, which provide physical "tooth" to the next coat.

It's a common belief that you can apply about 3 coats in quick succession - but it has to be quick so that the coats are not 'very' dry. This allows the coats to really fuse into a single layer, which then should be allowed to dry for a good day. The next series of coats will go on as ultimately a 2nd layer.

So, if you have to wait more than 60 mins between coats, I'd really give it a full 8 hours.

personally, I like to wipe on finishes very thin - and to give a long dry time between. It takes a few more days, but I just like the results better.

Bob and Prashun Thank you for your replys.

Prashun would you be so kind as to clarify something for me?
    You said, "personally, I like to wipe on finishes very thin - and to give a long dry time between".

Does that mean that you only wipe on one very thin coat on a day?
    Since I am using poly on this project and I alway have been told to sand between coats of poly, what grit do you use to keep from sanding through the prior coat?

I don't mind if it takes more time. Iam retired so time is not an issue. What I hope to learn on this project is how to get a more "professional" and not plastic look to my work.
    Thank you in advance for for reply.

Don

I think my poly or other varnish 50% with MS.

I sand the raw wood to 400 - even when dyeing. Others say it's a waste and inhibits absorption of the color. I have had a different experience.

I flood on the first coat (foam brush).

All subsequent coats: Rip a shop towel in 1/2. Fold one half and dip it 1/3ish in the varnish. Swirl it on and redip as necessary to get a swirly, thin coat on. Then take the clean half towel and quickly wipe the whole surface - lightly. This will take off a lot of the excess and leave the surface with a thin sheen.

If you have a few panels to cover you might need to switch to a clean towel after a few - whenever things start to drag.

I let this coat dry for 6-8 hours then repeat. (I usually do a coat when I wake up, and when I go to bed).

As for sanding, when done this thin and pre-sanded to 400, you shouldn't need to sand often - maybe every 3-4 coats. That 'sanding' is just spritzing the surface with MS and rubbing a blockbacked piece of 400 or 600 over the surface. I do it for feel. I have not found the need to sand poly for adhesion.

People will counsel that this method wastes time and varnish, but it works for me. When done properly, you will not feel the need to rub out the finish.

Here is an article that will answer all your questions about making and using a "wipe-on" varnish.

http://www.hardwoodlumberandmore.com...n-Varnish.aspx

Follow these instructions and you should end up with a nice finish.
    Howie.........