Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hammer K3 79" or Grizzly G0623X

Hammer K3 79" or Grizzly G0623X

I'm looking to purchase one or the other. I've read many if not all of the threads on these two saws. I currently own a G0123 cabinet saw. It gets the job done.
    What does that say...? Well it works, can't really complain except I feel the 90 degree and 45 degree stops are a bit mushy, if you know what I mean?

So on to the two sliding saws...

The Grizzly has supports for the sliding table. To me that says the table is not capable of supporting much weight.

The guy in the Hammer video sits on the table as is slides. I think that says a lot about the durability of the saw. It has no supports like the Grizzly.

The Grizzly has the start and stop controls in what I consider a more logical position. The Hammer seems to be in the more conventional cabinet saw position. I don't get this.

Many of you are happy with the Grizzly. Do any of you wish you held out for the Hammer or similar? I can save almost $3K if I go with the Grizzly.

I "hope" this will be my last table saw purchase. I have no decent way of cutting angles on wide pieces so this kind of saw seems to make a lot of sense. To some degree I am justifying the purchase by weighting the cost of the saw versus medical care due to kick back or loss of one or more digits. Loss of digits is not a huge concern as I do not put my fingers/hands anywhere near the blade. I have however experienced kickback, rarely (knock on wood) but in one instance it hit my thumb and I live with a spit thumbnail to this day. I have always been careful when using any tool, but all of us get distracted from time to time.

I am a repeatabilty kind of guy, who isn't? I want to be able to change a setup with minimal fuss then go back to a previous setup with precison. Mostly what I'm talkling about is the miter fence, how repeatable are the fences? I love my Incra rip fence, repeatability is a no brainer.

Whichever saw I get , I think I would want to add the Incra TS fence and maybe an Incra miter guage. I believe I saw a post where someone retrofitted an INcra fence to a Hammer K3.

Comments, thoughts?

I don't want to regret getting the Grizzy if the fences are sub par. I think I can live with the sliding table supports and put 3K in my pocket, but I don't want to skimp when is comes to repeatability.

Hi, I have the Hammer B3 Winner with 49" sliding table and the outrigger.

Order the precision mitre index system with yours, absolute repeatability for angles in 5 degree increments.

I wouldn't order an Incra gauge, stick with the Hammer stuff, you won't regret it............Rod.

Get the Hammer. I never heard anyone say that they regret buying a Hammer or a similar European slider....

At this point the euro machines are still noted for their finesse much more than their Asian counterparts. Sliders are all about close tolerences, repeatibility, and design. Hammer makes a great machine for the price. Don't forget to consider the Minimax machines as well. Dave

David, I talked to the Minimax rep. Great guy, budget leads me back to Hammer and Grizzly. Thanks Rod, sent email to sales rep regarding miter index system.

There was an $8K Felder 700 series in the for sale section (here or woodnet one of the two) . That would be an amazing saw.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Used sliders are a bargain. Worth a look. Dave

Todd,

I bought the exact saw (Hammer) that you are considering. I have had it a little over a year and can tell you it's a great saw. There are some things that are extra on it that I would not get again if I were to buy it now. You can really drive the price up quickly.

If you have not had a chance to use a K3 you are welcome to drive down to Ventura and play with mine before you buy. Regards, Tony

Quote Originally Posted by David Kumm View Post
    Used sliders are a bargain. Worth a look. Dave
    I've been watching Craig's List. So far the sliders are like 9HP 3 phase. The beauty of the Hammer K3 is that it is 4HP single phase. It will run on a 20AMp 220V circuit, which already exists.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Rodoracio View Post
    Todd,

I bought the exact saw (Hammer) that you are considering. I have had it a little over a year and can tell you it's a great saw. There are some things that are extra on it that I would not get again if I were to buy it now. You can really drive the price up quickly.

If you have not had a chance to use a K3 you are welcome to drive down to Ventura and play with mine before you buy. Regards, Tony
    Tony, what options did you wish you did not get? I haven't added anything to mine. I'd like to get the wheels and lifting bar. Other than that I don't think I need anything else. Standard package, which does include the miter indexing system that Rod mentioned.

Todd,

When looking at a tool like these sliders in that price range, it would be worth a trip to look at both the ones you are considering. This type of a tool, I would consider a tool purchased for the rest of my woodworking life. I would want to crawl around and look hard at the equipment with my own eyes and mind.
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 03-02-2013 at 10:16 AM.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Brewer View Post
    Tony, what options did you wish you did not get? I haven't added anything to mine. I'd like to get the wheels and lifting bar. Other than that I don't think I need anything else. Standard package, which does include the miter indexing system that Rod mentioned.
    1. I have the scoring option on mine. Not that it doesn't work, I just don't use it. If you make a zero clearance insert for the blade the plywood cuts come out fine.
    2. Same with the dado option. I prefer to cut them with my router.
    3. The micro adjust for the fence. This one is due to the fact that I just don't care for the stock fence and ended up replacing it with a Beisemeyer style.

These things may be more utilized by others. I guess it comes down to individual preferences. For me, I could have saved a few bucks by leaving these out. The costs of some of the accessories are ridiculous.

I'd love to attach my Incra TS Positioner fence to either of these saws. I don't have to pull out a tape measure and tap,tap, tap,. It snaps to the nearest 32nd of an inch. I can change setups and change it back and get the same exact width. I'm more comfortable "butchering" the Grizzly than the Hammer.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    Todd,

When looking at a tool like these sliders in that price range, it would be worth a trip to look at both the ones you are considering. This type of a tool, I would consider a tool purchased for the rest of my woodworking life. I would want to crawl around and look hard at the equipment with my own eyes and mind.
    I need to call both and see if there is one in my area. Tony is a bit far for me, but may be worth the trip.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Brewer View Post
    I'd love to attach my Incra TS Positioner fence to either of these saws. I don't have to pull out a tape measure and tap,tap, tap,. It snaps to the nearest 32nd of an inch. I can change setups and change it back and get the same exact width. I'm more comfortable "butchering" the Grizzly than the Hammer.
    Ian Maybury has this setup on his Hammer Slider...see here:
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...ht=ian+maybury #13

Jim
    "Your beliefs don't make you a better person...your behavior does."