Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Hammer K3 79" or Grizzly G0623X

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    Yes, the pins are for blade braking, an EU requirement...............Rod.
    The pins are so the arbor can use a standard right hand thread nut or so I've been told by the Felder guys. Some Euro saws use blades without pin holes but have different systems of blade attachment. Keep in mind that most use a dc injection brake module to stop the blade and they are not rated for many stops per hour so you want to use them sparingly. With sliders it is all about manufacturing tolerences so the slider and cut stay accurate. While the Asians are making progress in the sliding saw catagory they are doing so slowly. If you look at Asian sliders next to Euro ones you will see they tend to be heavily built but a little rougher. I think in a certain number of years the gap will close to where it is tough to tell but right now you can see the difference. Most of the large Asian sliders are made at a factory owned now by Biesse. Dave

Yes, the pins are for blade braking, an EU requirement...............Rod.
    Blade braking is actually not an EU requirement. Some manufacturers may opt to use an arbor that supports this feature on their own voluntary basis but just to be clear, not every saw manufactured in the EU is required to have this feature. In fact, most don't. The safety criteria specifies that the tool must come to rest within a specific timeframe of the operator actuating the "off" switch (typically around 7 seconds). This is designed more for large shapers and jointers or planers, where the head would coast forever unless there was some type of active braking mechanism involved (such as DC injection, like Dave mentioned..). It could also apply to really large sliding table saws with, say, 16" blades. However, if the blade comes to rest within the specified time period, then no braking is required. For example, we don't manufacture any saw with an arbor that has braking pin holes, even the big 16" saws, and all our machinery conforms to every EU safety criteria.

Just clarifying,

Erik Loza
    Minimax USA

Todd, here's a link to video on the Hammer C3, well worth watching as you'll find your elusive jig that turns a short stroke slider into a long stroke slider in it.

http://www.feldergroupusa.com/us-us/...osgruppen_id=0

Rod , Which video is the elusive jig in? I watched 2 and didn't see it.

I just found it at 3:40 into the main video at the top of Rod's link. The jig is a sled that rides on a bar that's guided by the groove in the sliding table.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Joiner View Post
    I just found it at 3:40 into the main video at the top of Rod's link. The jig is a sled that rides on a bar that's guided by the groove in the sliding table.
    Glad to hear that Andrew, the part # for the extrusion is 500-110 in case you want to order any. It comes as 3 pieces, with a total length just under 10 feet.....Rod.

Glad to hear that Andrew, the part # for the extrusion is 500-110 in case you want to order any. It comes as 3 pieces, with a total length just under 10 feet.....Rod.
    Rod, I can't seem to find that on the felder-tooling.us site, is that a felder part # or ??

Hammer part number, I can't find it on their website either however it's in the catalogue...........Regards, Rod.

Hammer part number, I can't find it on their website either however it's in the catalogue...........Regards, Rod.
    Call Felder/Hammer, it is available ,as I ordered it with my new Hammer K3. Part number is correct.

9. Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    Todd, here's a link to video on the Hammer C3, well worth watching as you'll find your elusive jig that turns a short stroke slider into a long stroke slider in it.

http://www.feldergroupusa.com/us-us/...osgruppen_id=0
    While the machines are impressive, I am intrigued by the screw-down curved ruler used at 8:45 and at 9:28. Anyone have a source for it?

Thanks,
    Nate

10. Excellent tread, but I am a little confused by the stated cut dimensions for the G0623X. You have the slider on the left of the saw which will make a 63" long cut up to 48 3/4" wide. Or you can do 'conventional' table saw rip cuts on the right side using the fence up to 33" (see pic below from G0623X manual).

ega6ie.png

Since both saws are able to handle full width sheets, yet neither handle 96" lengths, are we not really talking 48x63 versus 48x79 not 33x63 versus 48x79?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Grosvenor View Post
    Excellent tread, but I am a little confused by the stated cut dimensions for the G0623X. You have the slider on the left of the saw which will make a 63" long cut up to 48 3/4" wide. Or you can do 'conventional' table saw rip cuts on the right side using the fence up to 33" (see pic below from G0623X manual).

ega6ie.png

Since both saws are able to handle full width sheets, yet neither handle 96" lengths, are we not really talking 48x63 versus 48x79 not 33x63 versus 48x79?
    ;

I'm not sure if I understand your question....but I think you're under the impression that both the crosscut and the rip restrictions apply to the same cut. Since one uses the either the slider OR the rip fence, not both at the same time, there is only the restriction in one direction. Using the rip fence I'm limited to the 33" width, but can rip as long as I have outfeed support for (I have a roller table I use to help with that). Likewise, while the crosscut limitation is 63" the piece can be as long as you can reasonably support. 4' X 8' sheets without additional rollers or support are not a problem.

Edit: Now I think I see what you mean....in the top left picture they show 63" crosscut being limited to 78.5" in length. That is only the limit of the stop on the extended fence, flip up the stop and that limitation disappears. The only limitation now is what you can reasonably support (which if you're really crosscutting a full 63" that's probably LONGER than you want to mess with). The outrigger table is larger than the picture shows, and supporting 48" X 96" plywood is quite doable, if you want to be humping that large of sheets onto your table saw.
    Last edited by Mark Rakestraw; 04-01-2013 at 1:31 PM. Reason: clarity
    Mark R

12. Thanks! How you describe it makes complete sense. So your saying that you have found that your able to exceed the maximum sheet size suggested without additional rollers (78 3/4") and have had no problem with sheets as large as 96"? If that is the case then at only $2995 for the Grizzly versus $5499 for the Hammer K3 79-48 (current promotional pricing) it would seem to be a great way to save $2,500... I'm not saying that the Hammer is over priced, just that I can think of other things to spend the money on which would make a bigger difference to my shop.

Thanks! How you describe it makes complete sense. So your saying that you have found that your able to exceed the maximum sheet size suggested without additional rollers (78 3/4") and have had no problem with sheets as large as 96"? If that is the case then at only $2995 for the Grizzly versus $5499 for the Hammer K3 79-48 (current promotional pricing) it would seem to be a great way to save $2,500... I'm not saying that the Hammer is over priced, just that I can think of other things to spend the money on which would make a bigger difference to my shop.
    Yes, I can process full 4' X 8' sheets without additional rollers. That isn't to say, however, that I could have 95 1/2" of a 48" wide piece to the left of the blade and crosscut the sheet without added support. To yield smaller pieces I would crosscut about 1/4" larger than what I needed as the offcut, then flip and cut the final edge to yield the correct dimension. For narrower pieces, say 30" or less, then yes, I could crosscut a 96 1/2" sheet and the outrigger would sufficiently support it.
    Mark R

Thanks! How you describe it makes complete sense. So your saying that you have found that your able to exceed the maximum sheet size suggested without additional rollers (78 3/4") and have had no problem with sheets as large as 96"?
    Yes, you can put a full sheet on there. The scale on the crosscut fence goes to 54". For wider pieces, it telescopes out so you can measure up to 78" (and have room for the flip stop). So, if you wanted to trim a 96" wide sheet to 95", you'd have to manually mark it and line that up with the blade. For the occasional cut, no problem. If you're a professional shop processing dozens of sheets a day...not so much.

Edit: As Mark said, it does matter how wide the piece is. Maneuvering a full sheet on the table and keeping it steady would be a stretch. Some creative clamping would help, especially if the sheet isn't perfectly flat.
    Last edited by Bas Pluim; 04-01-2013 at 5:55 PM.