Thread: Question about sample boards.

Question about sample boards.

Hi,

I'm getting ready to spray finish some hard maple cabinet doors and face frames with Target EM6000 over shellac. I would like to make some sample boards with different shellac colors. I'm wondering if I use a brush for making sample boards if I'll get an accurate represention of the final color? I would prefer not to have to use the spray equipment for the samples.

Hope this isn't a dumb question but I don't have a lot of experience with finishing and wasn't able to find an answer by searching.

Thanks for your help
    Shawn

You'll want a very thin coat of shellac. Brush, wipe, or spray it on. Brushing is one slow stroke to flow it on, no back and forth, it dries too quickly.
    Scott

Finishing is an 'Art & a Science'. Actually, it is a process. You must understand the properties and tendencies of the finish you are using. You must know the proper steps and techniques, then you must execute them properly.

When I want to make samples with shellac as part of the recipe, that I plan to spray on the final project, I wipe it on. I can put on a thinner layer wiping than brushing, like you get by spraying, and it seems to work fine as long as it's not going over an alcohol soluble dye. For small sample boards wiping with a plain paper towel works fine for me. I should point out that I never use shellac straight from the can; I almost always cut it at least 50% with DNA.

JOhn

Thanks for the help, think I will try wiping it on.