Thread: Simple little box...

Simple little box...

Hi, all -

Finished this little box recently. QS sycamore, lap joint corners. The staggered joints make for a fun glue-up. Sides faired with a Stanley #18. The 1/8" walnut dowel pins were shop made (by my daughter). Finish is about 30 coats of paste finishing wax; the interior was left raw. Handle and bottom are walnut. Finished size is around 3" x 8" x about 2-3/4" high.

Quartersawn Sycamore box... by Scott --, on Flickr

I've made several of these years ago, all cherry. The sycamore was not well behaved, and was frustrating to plane. But I'm happy with how it turned out. I think this is the first project I've ever made that had no pre-determined purpose. Not sure what I'm going to do with it now, but it was fun to make.

Thanks for looking.
    Scott
    It's better to be a spectacular failure than an apologetic one...

There is a lot to like in this box - the jointery is unique, the QWS sycamore is eye catching, and I like the walnut pins. Is there a rabbit edge on the underside of the lid? I really like the figure of the sycamore on the front of the box. Nice job!

I wish I hadn't seen this.

You've set the bar high for what I must now do with my alotted portion...
    Any pictures of the Cherry boxes? I'm always looking for fresh ideas to steal *ahem* to 'borrow'.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe A Faulkner View Post
    There is a lot to like in this box - the jointery is unique, the QWS sycamore is eye catching, and I like the walnut pins. Is there a rabbit edge on the underside of the lid? I really like the figure of the sycamore on the front of the box. Nice job!
    Thanks Joe! Yes, there's a 1/16" or so rabbet under the lid to hold it in place.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Matthews View Post
    I wish I hadn't seen this.

You've set the bar high for what I must now do with my alotted portion...
    Any pictures of the Cherry boxes? I'm always looking for fresh ideas to steal *ahem* to 'borrow'.
    Jim, the original prototype, of cherry, has more pleasing proportions to me, but this sycamore box's size was defined by how much stock I had. The cherry has aged wonderfully, and takes the wax very well - lots of depth in the finish. Here's a couple of picture of the first cherry box, pre-waxing:

proto02 by Scott --, on Flickr

proto01 by Scott --, on Flickr

The interior was flocked with that DonJer stuff. I made several more as presentation boxes, sized to hold a small bottle of wine.

FWIW, this is based on one of Gary Rogowski's articles, which is available for free online now: http://www.finewoodworking.com/woodw...egant-box.aspx

Thanks for the comments, guys!
    Scott

Very beautiful and elegant. Nice job!

6. Well Done!!
    Last edited by John Keeton; 03-05-2013 at 1:00 PM. Reason: Deleted signature URL per rules

Blog Entries
    That is beautiful wood and a well crafted box. I really like sycamore.

Classy and fabulous! The finish showed the true beauty of the wood. Nice job.

Very nice box. The curved sides go well with the wood selected.
    You have to love wood that just jumps out and says "Hey I'm Sycamore!".

My thanks, gents!

Simple and elegant, I really like it. QS Sycamore is one of my favorite woods to work with when I can actually find some.