Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Plane refinishing idea and question re: heat. Need some advice.

Tommy,
    For an aged patina on your plane after you have stripped off the Japaning, apply a rifle cold-blue solution (more gray than blue) and use a fine abrasive pad to reduce it to the color that suits you, then coat very thinly with TruOil stock finish, literally a wipe on/wipe off application. After a few days to cure completely, buff to suit. You end up with a very attractive dark patina.

Tommy (et al.) -

I first read a lot about this sort of metal treatment on a blog entry about seasoning cast iron skillets - I'd always done the Crisco thing, and was learning about the 'right' way. Later, I read about this again on the Benchcrafted blog, after buying the hardware for my Moxon vise. Most amusing thing was that Benchcrafted linked to the first blog! Guess my earlier research was well-sourced. Also, note that the Benchcrafted blog entry also referenced their efforts with bluing/oil.

daniel
    Not all chemicals are bad. Without hydrogen or oxygen, for example, there would be no way to make water, a vital ingredient in beer.

My mind wanders to having them powder coated clear at a spray shop . . .
    " Be willing to make mistakes in your basements, garages, apartments and palaces. I have made many. Your first attempts may be poor. They will not be futile. " - M.S. Bickford, Mouldings In Practice